Cut out heatform myself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Adding a piece of angle on each side so I’ve got a flange all the way around to bolt to. 1/4” stainless hardware. Gonna try and caulk the seams during install. We’ll see how messy that gets.

Also there an opening between the fire side and inner shell of heatform on each side. Thinking I can prob caulk that too but idk if it was overlooked or intentional. Spot next to the damper on each side.

59F02645-BD10-446D-BC2B-DF53D229ECBF.jpeg A5FB3349-958E-41E6-9EEB-73A41AB107F2.jpeg

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Think I need to caulk/ seal it all? Definitely will be gaps and cracks from the inner heatform space to the insert space otherwise. Woodstove comes tomorrow!!!

There ya go! Looks great.

going great and then the second I turned the fan on I got smoke in the room. Enough to set off the smoke detector on the mantle. Hope it’s just the paint???? Eek

Most likely paint smoke with the first few burns until the insert paint bakes in.

Reactions: Tjm
Yea I think it smells like paint. Not wood. Just didn’t expect it so strong! Gonna let it die out tonight and start it up again tmw

Build a bigger fire and have a nearby window open, maybe with a fan exhausting the smoke when the insert gets up to temp.

It just dawned on me that some of the paint smell might’ve been my own doing. I painted some of the new heatform chase with high temperature grill paint.…

On a side note running low and slow ( no fan) I think the original heatform outlets are as hot as I’ve even felt them. Ir gun says almost 130 degrees.

Reactions: EbS-P
Main thing that’s surprised me so far is how much heat this thing puts off. I’m thinking partly because our old stove didn’t have any block off plate/chimney insulation at the bottom of the chimney. I expected it to be lower output than the last stove and I’m thinking it’s higher. Welcome surprise. That and how hot it’s gotta be to close the bypass. Seems like I might not be able to run it quite as low with a small fire as I thought. Stills cooks me out of the kitchen lol. But it was 50 degrees out today and I can still work on getting the heat circulated throughout the house. I’m looking forward to the temperature dropping? :)

Main thing that’s surprised me so far is how much heat this thing puts off. I’m thinking partly because our old stove didn’t have any block off plate/chimney insulation at the bottom of the chimney. I expected it to be lower output than the last stove and I’m thinking it’s higher. Welcome surprise. That and how hot it’s gotta be to close the bypass. Seems like I might not be able to run it quite as low with a small fire as I thought. Stills cooks me out of the kitchen lol. But it was 50 degrees out today and I can still work on getting the heat circulated throughout the house. I’m looking forward to the temperature dropping? :)
Well down here it will get in the 30's on Thursday so you should be good to go this week.

Well down here it will get in the 30's on Thursday so you should be good to go this week.
Looks like our lows are in the thirties next week. Highs around 50. Kitchen got to 98 last night and I let it die out overnight. Furnace set at 55 so it shouldn’t be a factor and kitchen still at 73 about 24 hours later. I thought I would be able to throttle it down but maybe I can only burn every other day this time of year LOL. I think I need to get a good coal bed and then feed it bigger splits.

All done! (Although he did use pink insulation so I might pull the shroud and replace that.)

Tj

View attachment 284094
Looks great! Where was the pink insulation used? For anything on the blockoff plate or right around the insert you'll want to use something like Roxul that's rated for higher temperatures (I think Roxul is good to 2100F or something around there)

Looks great! Where was the pink insulation used? For anything on the blockoff plate or right around the insert you'll want to use something like Roxul that's rated for higher temperatures (I think Roxul is good to 2100F or something around there)
Yea it was right around the liner just past the stove. Maybe 1-2 ft up inside where the old smoke shelf is. I had mineral wool
Thermafiber right there and he agreed to use that but when I stepped back in the room
He had used the pink stuff and said he’d just soon see me return the stuff I got since I hadn’t opened it. Even offered for him to keep the rest lol.