cut & stack in one easy action

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carinya

May 26, 2009
ohio
Note precision cutting to maintain a small gap for air drying with suspension slightly above ground

Attachments

• DSC01263 - Copy.jpg
    DSC01263 - Copy.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 656
Unfortunately the first round rolled slightly south...but still was done in the "one easy action" :coolsmile:

Attachments

• DSC01266 - Copy.jpg
    DSC01266 - Copy.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 600
Ok I get the cutting part, but wheres the stacking?

Sometimes you have to think outside the box (woodshed ?) !

I began cutting this log and on the second cut (you can see on the first cut the round rolled a trunk thickness south) the top edge of the round leant (australian for leaned) into the trunk without rolling. And so I did the next cut and the same thing on down the trunk. A couple of times I used bits of wood chip as wedges. Some is resting on branches underneath but a fair bit is suspended in mid air an inch or two or three above ground.

This "self stacking" (who says a stack has to rise vertically ?) provides air movement through the chainsaw blade width between each round.....I didn't make any claims about how long drying would take.

A bit of creative thinking is good for the soul sometimes.

I guess I'll need a fair bit of shrinkage to get the rounds into the NC-13.

;-)

Shari

Well, by noon the next day, so much shrinking had taken place that my precision stacking was no more......either that or a squirrel had upset the delicate balance.

Hmmmm maybe the cat.

Attachments

• DSC01270.jpg
    DSC01270.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 486
You are better off making a platform out of 4 or so pallets. I have some gravel that I use but pallets would be better for getting the wood off the ground. I then pile up the bucked logs, flat side down, one on top of another. Eventually I put the smaller stuff on top and form a pyramid shape. I do it as temporary storage until room opens up in the wood shed.

What kind of wood is that with the dark heart wood?

carinya said:
Well, by noon the next day, so much shrinking had taken place that my precision stacking was no more......either that or a squirrel had upset the delicate balance.

Hmmmm maybe the cat.

A cat would not do such a thing that's the work of a squirrel for sure !! Had one of the little Ba$t@rds flatten a tire on the van just last week.
Looks like that stuff should be ready to burn shortly (about a year after it gets split) but you can let it sit stacked safe and sound for several years before that happens. Got any small children that will be ready to split by then?

m0jumb0 said:
so those cuts were all the way through? that's pretty impressive. looked like they were still hanging on

if you look closely at the photos (enlarge them) you can see that the rounds have shifted varying amounts from "true"

What was holding them was compression as they "fell" onto the uncut section. I was probably lucky that it didn't come undone even as I was doing it

Attachments

• DSC01268 - Copy.jpg
    DSC01268 - Copy.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 368
CTburning said:
What kind of wood is that with the dark heart wood?

Black walnut.

God must have made black walnut for splitting. Just let the splitter fall and it parts like Moses & the Red Sea.

However, if you look at the photos you'll see that some of the lengths are quite small. That's wherever there was a crotch. Then the maul will literally bounce back up in the air. It usually takes three or four strikes to get that pleasant sound of a split beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.