Cutting down hemlocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

old greybeard

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2018
PA
I have about 6-7 acres heavy with hemlocks. Wooly agelids are starting to kill them. We’ve been treating trees but will still lose many. I recently cut up two dead, standing hemlocks. Pretty recently died. Both punky.
Live dropped by storm trees don’t seem to get punky.
Do I need to cut down my trees before they are dead to have good wood? If so how far along can they be and still have good wood?
Thanks

I can't answer your question, but I am sorry that you're dealing with this. Almost all of the hemlocks are gone here in my area of PA.

I'm surprised to hear that they're punky already. We use Hemlock for the exterior of our barns and out buildings because of it's rot resistance.

They should be fine for years. Is the land a wetland where they would be subject to greater than normal moisture? Hemlocks are one of those odd species that’ll grow in wet soil. Their roots just grow on top of the soil, lol.

I am in a similar situation--I have about 14 acres of mostly hemlock and beech (which are in worse shape). Hemlock is resistant to rot, non-resinous, and will last for some time--either standing or on the ground. I've been trying, with some success, at planting some Norway Spruce to replace the hemlocks. I like conifers. Anyway, hemlock is a beautiful softwood--the frame, trim, and cabinets, as well as some garden beds are all hemlock at my place. It burns quick, doesn't retain water, and is neutral with respect to taste (if cooking with it). It works for me.

Not a wet area, all above 2000ft. I’ll try some other dead trees. We treated over 200 trees with imidacloprid 2f. Hope it works.
We have always been chemical free, until this year. Treated the hemlocks and sprayed for Gypsy moths, which worked fantastic. Neighbors who were too cheap to spend $34 a acre for spraying are losing many oaks.