Cutting frozen Locust and Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've had a similar problem with trees that are next to our gravel road. The county dropped a dead Shagbark Hickory on my property and I told them, that I would cut it up. It was very old and was full of grit, from years and years of having cars driving up and down the road. When I counted the rings it was about 120 years old. I had to resharpen my chain about 8 times while cutting that up.

Reactions: bigealta
Got back in there yesterday, new Oregon L74 control cut chain worked pretty well in the remaining oak. No more of that locust was clean. Only some of the bottom logs on the ground were left and i did not want to run the new chain thru them.

Did not get too many cuts in. Just enough to fill the CRV. But glad to see the old loops get retired.
Also got another "cheap" chain off ebay called "longer". Will have that ready if i come across anymore of that locust.

Well back again this morning. On the 5th, i cut hit a nail, deep in the oak, with the brand new Oregon chain. It Stopped the saw and i saw the sparks. Peaked down in the cut and sure enough spotted some newly shined metal. Trashed the chain so i put on the "Cheap" back up Longer brand chain. I have to say i was pretty impressed with this chain. Perhaps it was even slightly better (sharper) than the Oregon out of the box. Time will tell but for about $14-15 a loop i'll probably be grabbing a couple more.

Reactions: mcdougy