Some Of You Guys Love Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mutineer

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2018
NE Ohio
Had a buddy the next town over score a pile of logs behind a new garage going up behind his next door neighbor. Lots of hard maple up to 30" diameter and straight as one could dream, plus several big locust logs in the 26-28" range. Borrowed another buddy's 36" Husky since my little 18" Stihl was going to be overwhelmed, and went to town on the maples. Did 8-9 cuts, then attacked a big locust on the top of the pile- big mistake. Did one cut and started another when I realized that the saw teeth on this new blade were dull as a butter knife. The wood may be a wonderful burn, but others on the site who have mentioned that locust goes through chains were 100% correct. My first experience with locust in 30 years of burning was an eye opener.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sounds like a nice score! >> If there's dirt on the logs from when they moved them, that might dull chains as well. I haven't noticed BL to dull chains very much faster, if it's clean wood. It's dense wood, so I guess it would to some degree.

I've got my eye on a bunch of honey locust trees. Mostly standing dead. But still covered in thorns. I've burned a little of it. Seems like great firewood. I'll l just keep sharpening the chain I guess.

I've gotten so much honey/black locust here in NY I don't even think twice about it dulling my chains. I've had a harder time cutting shagbark than locust.

Reactions: baseroom
It will dull a chain even worse if it isn't green ime but it does make some fine firewood. They make great corner and brace post as well if you have a need for them.

Locust bark can hold dirt and little rocks that can dull a chain instantly. I know that even when it is clean, it is harder on a chain than maple, but given your experience, my money is on dirt in the bark. I agree with Woody, shagbark is something else. The squeel the saw makes as it digs is sometimes makes me wonder if it is a good idea to cut it. Then I start swinging the Fiskars and I become more certain that it wasn't a good idea! At least locust isn't that hard to split.

Some Of You Guys Love Locust? I sure do

Pro's
1) Burns long and hot
2) Very rot resistant -( I can sit on logs and rounds for years without rot )
3) Splits easy
4) Bug resistant too. ( I have not had saw dust from bugs, like I would if it was hickory )
5) Low ash when dried correctly.

Con's
1) Tough on chains
2) Splinters are prone to infection ( be careful )
3) The bark is thick and a pain. ( I will sit on the logs until the bark fall off easily or better yet, find blow-downs with the bark already off )
4 Not a good wood to start a fire with. ( I learned this , this year as 80 % of my seasoned wood was Black Locust , best to add to an existing bed of coals )
5) Some say it smells when it burns, not such a big deal as I do not smell much of what come out of my chimney 25ft above me.

For my time and energy -- I feel I get a good return on my investment with Black Locust.

Locust bark can hold dirt and little rocks that can dull a chain instantly.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I seem to recall seeing sparks when I cut BL. If the bark is loose, I'll be knocking it off first from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prof
I have not had any issues with cutting locust...hedge is a different story...especially dead...saw sparks flying in bright sunshine! lol

Good thoughts about the possibility of dirt down in that furrowed bark, I have a couple more cuts on those logs to do when I get the chain sharpened so I'll see about scraping off the bark in the cut area and see if it makes a difference. Same pile and same handling as the big maples but maybe they shed the dirt better than the locust.

I have not had any issues with cutting locust...hedge is a different story...especially dead...saw sparks flying in bright sunshine! lol
If your chain is loose and slapping against the bar when it comes around, I think that can throw sparks. Hedge bark is furrowed, not as deeply as BL, but still could hold some dirt..