Cutting Holes in Wall for Circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdrozd

Hearth Supporter
Jun 19, 2008
New Haven County,Ct
I want to get the heat into an adjacent room. I am trying not to use fans thru the wall initially. I just want to cut holes, place a grill over them, and see what natural convection will do. So, for my first hole am I better off cutting it near the floor or ceiling? If I don't see any effect from this I will cut another hole if I have to. Anyone try this without using fans?

I cut a hole up high where I figured the heat was I put in 2 grills about 1 foot long and 8'' wide .But it had little effect I feel the biggest issue with a pellet stove is to get the heat to move around the house it is not easy.

You need to cut a hole top and bottom, you need a cold air return to move heated air. My setup works perfectly but not sure why. My stove is at the end of an L. There is doorway at the opposite end of the L, the heat goes through the door way into the kitchen and into the mud room through another door way. The mud room temp is just a few deg cooler. The only thing I can think of is the fan blowing for 25 minutes forces the air all the way to the mud room, the cold air then travel across the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.