Damper block off - Can I use this metal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theTroutlaw

Feb 5, 2017
Northern NJ
I happen to have an extra sheet of galvanized alum or steel from when they did my metal roof. Is there any issue with using this for my damper block off plate?

Thanks,
Danny

Welcome to the forum Danny. I think the metal you mentioned would be okay for a block off plate, but any paint on the metal could be a problem. I doubt such paint is rated to withstand the sort of temperature it might reach being right against a ss flex liner that will reach several hundred degrees under normal operating conditions. Removing the paint might be more trouble than it is worth since you can pick up the amount of sheet metal a block off takes pretty cheap at any home improvement store. Good luck.

Thank you for the response Nick! Luckily the metal is not painted, was planned to throw high temp black stove paint over it to make the plate less visible if you were to look under the chimney. Will post install after this snow melts.