Danger in the woodpile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this brown recluse talk had me concerned....I captured a few spiders in the house that seemed possible candidates and looked at them under the microscope. 8 eyes...not 6. The recluse has 6...not sure how else to be sure,

The idea of a little bugger causing an open wound that last for years....that really sucks. I've been told they are in this area.

The best way to know is that it will have a fiddle like marking on its back. Very fast and quick spider. We have them around here and the best way to catch them in the house are the pest glue boards made by Tomcat which you can find a lowes or home depot. I am careful at the woodpile and wear gloves. Never been bitten but seen afew. Spray slow the population down.

weatherguy said:
bluedogz said:
weatherguy said:
How do you treat a bite from a brown recluse? I guess we all have our share of pests, we have a tick problem up here this year but no brown recluses.

Hospital. The bite turns necrotic real quick and starts killing tissue.

Almost like when I ask my wife what shes watching and she says a movie ;-P

What treatment does the hospital administer?
thought the same thing when I read that, lol.

(to be fair, just last night wife asked me what I was doing..I said "reading the internet" and then she glared and motioned for more info, so I said "looking at a chainsaw forum" and she got all huffy about how that sure wasn't telling her much. "ok, I'm looking at these pictures of how this guy reduced the skirt on the piston and then ported the intake and exhaust on the saw." and then I started talking about the muffler mode he made and she cut me off... "Ok, fine, I didn't need that much info," she said)

Spiders dictate my firewood activity. No wood pile action until the temps go down.

Danno77 said:
weatherguy said:
bluedogz said:
weatherguy said:
How do you treat a bite from a brown recluse? I guess we all have our share of pests, we have a tick problem up here this year but no brown recluses.

(to be fair, just last night wife asked me what I was doing..I said "reading the internet" and then she glared and motioned for more info, so I said "looking at a chainsaw forum" and she got all huffy about how that sure wasn't telling her much. "ok, I'm looking at these pictures of how this guy reduced the skirt on the piston and then ported the intake and exhaust on the saw." and then I started talking about the muffler mode he made and she cut me off... "Ok, fine, I didn't need that much info," she said)

Well, I could have said, "Don't *&^%! with it" but I was trying to be polite. But fine, if that's how y'all want it...

bluedogz said:
Danno77 said:
weatherguy said:
bluedogz said:
weatherguy said:

Well, I could have said, "Don't *&^%! with it" but I was trying to be polite. But fine, if that's how y'all want it...

Is there some sort of anti venom or other substance that inhibits the poison?

According to Wikipedia, yes, but not effective unless administered shortly after the often-painless bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.