Data Lines to OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wvwoodchuck

Jun 14, 2009
WV
I read the sticky on not skimping on underground lines. One comment was to include extra conduit for data lines.
What kind of data lines can you hook up to an OWB?

I'm getting ready to install my first OWB (not sure which one), but was curious what kind of data I can collect.
Temperature too hot? too low? low water alert?

What grounding the stove? Installing ground rod?

Thanks.

It really depends on the control system as to what lines you need. At the least you may want a remote temp sensor so you know if
the boiler is producing heat. At the other extreme you can have inlet/outlet temp, exhaust temp, control lines for the pump/blower....

The way I look at it, conduit is really, really cheap compared to digging another trench 1 or 2 years from now if you decide you need
another cable. Keep in mind low voltage/control wires should be separated as far as possible in the ditch, I would try to keep the conduit
1 to 1.5 feet at a minimum from any line voltage/power cables...

At a minimum, while you're in there you should run at least two-pull strings so that you can run new wires and/or cable down the road. Some of the smart controllers will allow you to either control or monitor your boiler over a network.

Lots (OK, several) people have added temperature and pump monitoring to their systems. Laying a conduit now (I used plastic water pipe, 1") Lets you add something later if you want. Check investment now vesus a real hassel later.

Thanks for the replies. I'll add them "just in case" for later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.