Daughters fireplace this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This thing is huge ,it's in a 3200 sq foot great room,heats it comfortably but eats wood like a starving dog.
No problem she's got 25 cords of oak in a building that's as hard as stone and burns like this. fireplace.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Microduck17
Her great room is 3,200 square feet? That's a room 32 foot wide and 100 foot long. Does she live in a shop house?

Looks nice! Need a pic from further back to see the mantle.

Her great room is 3,200 square feet? That's a room 32 foot wide and 100 foot long. Does she live in a shop house?

Her house is about 12000 square feet on 20 acres of 150 year old trees,my son in law is a world reknowned cardio thoracic surgeon. He does well for himself,not boasting lots of people do well in life.Everybody finds a niche in life ,me i'm a simple man with a public servants job. But anyway the place is huge and my three grandkids enjoy it.

Why don't you show us some more pics of the fireplace to give some perspective

Her house is about 12000 square feet on 20 acres of 150 year old trees,my son in law is a world reknowned cardio thoracic surgeon. He does well for himself,not boasting lots of people do well in life.Everybody finds a niche in life ,me i'm a simple man with a public servants job. But anyway the place is huge and my three grandkids enjoy it.
I sure hope he sends you a nice stipend.

Don't need it always made in on my own,there are benefits but the family matters most $ is secondary.
They don't need 12000 square feet, either.

So need isn't the question.

Wouldn't it be better to share some with you, than building a monument to themselves?

You deserve some of that, for rearing a suitable wife for him.

Reactions: bholler
I used to work at old Sturbridge Village when I was a kid, the tavern had some huge fireplaces, we used to get some huge fires going in them after hours.

I used to work at old Sturbridge Village when I was a kid, the tavern had some huge fireplaces, we used to get some huge fires going in them after hours.
The fireplace above doesn't appear to be very big. By counting bricks going up the side it is only a little over 24" high by I would guess 34 or so wide. That is why I asked for pics to really see the scale.

Reactions: WinterinWI
No problem she's got 25 cords of oak
Is the wood dry? If so, what's the address? I'm a little short on my in-laws' stash for next winter, so I'd like to steal some. I only need six cords or so; I doubt she'll miss it. ;)

That is a Rumford fireplace like the one I built, pictured at left. They do heat well, sometimes.

Is this fireplace entirely inside the house, so that the back wall is inside the house?
What size is the fireplace opening?

I agree, doesn't look huge, does look prefab, but a nice fire going catches the eye.

Yet you feel the need to come here and brag about his money repeatedly.

I'd hate to live my life being jealous of those who have more than I,it would make for a miserable existence,since the world is full of many who have more.I'd bet if it was your family you'd feel differently,get a life and deal with the real world.

I agree, doesn't look huge, does look prefab, but a nice fire going catches the eye.
Whatever ,if it wasn't for the negativity here i'd boggle the mind with a few more pictures as it is ,no more.

They don't need 12000 square feet, either.

So need isn't the question.

Wouldn't it be better to share some with you, than building a monument to themselves?

You deserve some of that, for rearing a suitable wife for him.
Because you said so?so someone who spends half his life in medical school ,and saves countless lives is to be ridiculed,pahleeze grow up sir,i don't have time for this nonsense.Maybe one day you can become something you aren't now,

Looks like there's some Rumsfield fireplace stuff going on there.
My friend has a pre-fab Rumsfield, but it has a recessed glass door that slides up and down.
He doesn't use it much though.

There's a ritzy hotel north of here in Lake Placid, the Mirror Lake Inn, and they have a humongous fireplace that's running 24x7 all year round. I forgot how many cords a year they burned, but it was a heck of a lot.

There's another restaurant around here, the Crooked Lake House, that has two huge fireplaces. Most popular seats in the place are in front of them, naturally.

We were at the big lodge at Glacier National Park in Montana this fall. They had a huge fireplace, but didn't really stoke it that much. The whole place had a bit of a shopworn quality to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.