Dauntless 10 hour burn plus reload pics (NO CAT)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Overnight burns have been easier the dryer the wood I use. While I was fairly careful last year to ensure I was properly checking and using wood below 20%, my oak was still a bit borderline. This year, so far so good and part of the last half of last year. All due to mixing oak in with my reloads. Now I can get nice overnight burns, wake up and kick up the air control and get results that look like the picture below in the morning. (not perfect! But not bad)

image000000 (9).jpg

About an hour later I reloaded about 1/2 - 3/4 full, and fairly soon after had a nice amount of productivity with this new load.
image000000 (8).jpg

I let this load burn fairly hot for awhile, and was able to burn off most of what you see on the glass.

It still amazes me, when I open this dauntless and see the tiny firebox inside that it can take a large armload of wood and heat part of my home for 12+ hours.
Meanwhile, my wife wants a fire in the fireplace. That thing just CONSUMES wood and provides little to no to negative value.

One thing Im still struggling with. While the dog loves it, the stove room is ~650 sq ft fairly open with cathedral ceilings. I added a ceiling fan and now that room is HOT, while the adjoining rooms are not so much. I have a fan blowing INTO the stove room, and Ive tried the opposite but neither seems to pull the air into the colder room. Stove room might be at 78 degrees, while the adjoining room is at 69.

So just to give everyone a heads up.. dont run your stove this way. The Dauntless has only a 1.8 cuft fire box. So what GrumpyDad is saying is that he is not using his catalyst and that he is stalling his stove. He has an inadequate amount of draft. He is saying this with out actually typing it. The only way to have a stove this small burn that long is to have the stove stall on you

GrumpyDad had the same post last year of his stove burning for something of 14 hours.. He was stalling his stove last year and again this year. A number of people.. mods, myself, others have all expressed to him that he is better off burning with the catalyst in.

GrumpyDad had alot of trouble trying to figure out the stove operation and just gave up.. so his solution is to burn the stove not as intended

Anytime your cutting the air back, especially for an overnight burn you should have the catalyst in my friends..

So just to give everyone a heads up.. dont run your stove this way. The Dauntless has only a 1.8 cuft fire box. So what GrumpyDad is saying is that he is not using his catalyst and that he is stalling his stove. He has an inadequate amount of draft. He is saying this with out actually typing it. The only way to have a stove this small burn that long is to have the stove stall on you

GrumpyDad had the same post last year of his stove burning for something of 14 hours.. He was stalling his stove last year and again this year. A number of people.. mods, myself, others have all expressed to him that he is better off burning with the catalyst in.

GrumpyDad had alot of trouble trying to figure out the stove operation and just gave up.. so his solution is to burn the stove not as intended

Anytime your cutting the air back, especially for an overnight burn you should have the catalyst in my friends..
Long burn times.
Clean glass in the AM.
Warm.
Easy hot morning restart.
Efficient use of wood.
Everything a stove owner buys a stove for..

Yep, sounds like I've given up.
ebay_troll.jpg

Reactions: Powederdaze