Dauntless issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pretty sure all stoves are tested on a 15’ chimney so I’m sure manufacturers probably fine tune them for optimum performance at that height. That 15’ height in a lab could equate to something else in the real world so I would also agree that it seems the VC stoves could benefit from a bit taller chimney than a typical non cat. Should find and read the EPA report test for VC stoves may be a few pointers in there.
Yes, I checked online and they too test with a chimney at 15 feet.
Using the theory that more draft is needed to properly run the Dauntless through the cat doesn’t explain why I had the same high variability with the stove when I ran it without the cat as well. I’m just angry at myself for not doing more research on the stove and relying too much on company reputation.

Reactions: Todd
The folks that are having issues with the dauntless specifically, don't feel bad. I had issues too when I first installed mine. I made assumptions and mistakes because I did it myself. I learned from others here on what things can change draft, air leaks etc.
My mistakes and fixes:
Cabin had an old wood burning fireplace with a 14-15 foot chimney.
I installed my stove part way into an old fire place with a raised floor. See photos.
I went rear exit to a 6in 45 elbow, to another 45 elbow and just stuck it into the 8in chimney pipe. No adapter! This is when I tried removing the cat in increase draft. No dice.
It wouldn't draft for chit. So I bought a 6inch to 8 inch flange ro mate to the chimney base and draft got better.

Then I sealed the flange adapter to the chimney base with 2000degree fireplace caulk and draft got better. There was a 1/8inch gap and it was sucking fresh air.
I then tested cat installed and without, no change in draft performance and no change in heat output. Stove ran ok but air control was wonky.
I then rechecked door sealing and hinges were loose, fixed that.
I checked the glass seals and the glass was loose, fixed that. The griddle gasket seemed to thin and I fixed that. This now made my new stove air tight, finally.
If your having issues with how it runs, there are things to check and fix.
I'm not an installer, but happen to be an engineer and like solving problems/challenges.

Last edited:
20231209_140717.jpg
20231209_140706.jpg

@SkipperH I'm glad it worked out for you. I've had my VC for a long time. We love the look of it and the top load straight up chimney. Given all of that if I was to buy another stove, which I most likely won't because I'm too cheap, it wouldn't be another VC and possibly not a cat stove.
Thanks, It worked out in the end. Without a doubt the Dauntless with the enamel finish was a beautiful looking stove, however, dissatisfaction with the appliance started right away with chipped enamel occurring in different locations. A single chip as a result of a door not aligned properly, when I opened the door it pinched the hinge side causing a large chip. Others occurred with just a slip with the door handle lightly tapping the finish.
Next the damper rod bent not allowing damper operation (without force on my part) and had to be replaced. Then finally the right side glass just cracked for no reason, nothing hit it, no over temp. When I replaced it, each screw loosened up with the same force, so I don’t believe this was an over torqued screw causing the cracked glass.

The folks that are having issues with the dauntless specifically, don't feel bad. I had issues too when I first installed mine. I made assumptions and mistakes because I did it myself. I learned from others here on what things can change draft, air leaks etc.
My mistakes and fixes:
Cabin had an old wood burning fireplace with a 14-15 foot chimney.
I installed my stove part way into an old fire place with a raised floor. See photos.
I went rear exit to a 6in 45 elbow, to another 45 elbow and just stuck it into the 8in chimney pipe. No adapter! This is when I tried removing the cat in increase draft. No dice.
It wouldn't draft for chit. So I bought a 6inch to 8 inch flange ro mate to the chimney base and draft got better.

Then I sealed the flange adapter to the chimney base with 2000degree fireplace caulk and draft got better. There was a 1/8inch gap and it was sucking fresh air.
I then tested cat installed and without, no change in draft performance and no change in heat output. Stove ran ok but air control was wonky.
I then rechecked door sealing and hinges were loose, fixed that.
I checked the glass seals and the glass was loose, fixed that. The griddle gasket seemed to thin and I fixed that. This now made my new stove air tight, finally.
If your having issues with how it runs, there are things to check and fix.
I'm not an installer, but happen to be an engineer and like solving problems/challenges.
Thanks Sargeott, I tried everything, checking gaskets, cat, no cat, dealer came out but I was never impressed with its performance and extreme variability, so I moved on.