Dauntless issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
Sorry for your troubles Skipper. Glad I stayed away from the Dauntless after reading this (went with Quadra Fire Discovery).
I'm sure it's partly operator error and getting used to a different stove, but I'm concerned about the damper rod bending. They are ordering me a new rod, we'll see!

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
Yes external on single wall pipe. Thanks for the info on temps. I know it will smell for awhile, just trying to have it not run so hot when I've got it shut down.
Woodlifer, carefully if you can, run your hand over the air intake cylinder in the rear of the stove, adjacent to the floor, do you feel the air entering? Is the flow the same when the primary air is wide open vs fully closed. I would do this to make certain the primary air control is working properly. Just be careful getting to it.

Woodlifer

Feb 5, 2022
Millinocket, Me
Woodlifer, carefully if you can, run your hand over the air intake cylinder in the rear of the stove, adjacent to the floor, do you feel the air entering? Is the flow the same when the primary air is wide open vs fully closed. I would do this to make certain the primary air control is working properly. Just be careful getting to it.
Thanks for the info. I will do that . Easy to get to and I have put my hand over it to see if it stopped the noise. Do you also have that "blow torch" sound for awhile as soon as you close the damper?

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
Thanks for the info. I will do that . Easy to get to and I have put my hand over it to see if it stopped the noise. Do you also have that "blow torch" sound for awhile as soon as you close the damper?
Yes, I actually thought the noise was because of the cat, however, where yours does not have the cat it must be just the route the air is taking and making that noise due to the force of the air. How is your glass looking, does it get sooted up pretty quick?

Woodlifer

Feb 5, 2022
Millinocket, Me
And the noise is the same no matter what the air intake is set on. Yes on the glass. Sitting here making a list of things to ask dealer tomorrow,. Hope to get some useful info!

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
And the noise is the same no matter what the air intake is set on. Yes on the glass. Sitting here making a list of things to ask dealer tomorrow,. Hope to get some useful info!
And when the stove is cold and you close the damper handle can you see the damper door close inside the fire box?

PatrickWR

Apr 14, 2021
Oregon
Just chiming in to share that I also get the blowtorch sound when I close the bypass on my Dauntless. It fades away over a few minutes. I attribute it to the secondary combustion system "firing up" after a period of inactivity.

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
Just chiming in to share that I also get the blowtorch sound when I close the bypass on my Dauntless. It fades away over a few minutes. I attribute it to the secondary combustion system "firing up" after a period of inactivity.
Yes, I have noticed that the "blowtorch" sound does seem to go away after a short time after reloading and shutting the damper.

NewGuy132

Jan 22, 2021
Central MA
Yes, I have noticed that the "blowtorch" sound does seem to go away after a short time after reloading and shutting the damper.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the "blowtorch" sound is the secondaries going.

Once the bypass is closed smoke goes through the bottom of the stove where air is added for secondary combustion. Then it goes through the cat as tertiary combustion. At least that is how my Intrepid Felxburn works and I believe all of the Flexburn models essentially operate the same way.

Louboozu

Mar 28, 2022
Illinois
I purchased a new VC Dauntless last season. Manufactured in 2020. I've been using it less than one full season and I've got a few issues. First, I purchased the stove with the enamel finish and it's very unforgiving when it comes to light blows by any solid object causing good sized chips in the finish. Dealer says this is normal, I don't believe it should be and if it is I wish I would have purchased the black finish and saved a few bucks. Second, is the stove seems to fire up very quickly which maybe a characteristic of a catalytic combuster stove but I seemed to have to baby sit this stove more than the one I had for 25 years. Third, and most annoying is the by-pass rod that opens and closes the damper plate keeps bending and jamming up where I can't operate the stove. I've been in touch with the dealer but I'm not getting the support I thought I'd get. Anyone else experiencing issues with the Dauntless?
Unable to load without getting smoke in the house🤬

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Unable to load without getting smoke in the house🤬
Every install is different. Can you provide complete details of the installation including stove location in the house and a full description of the flue system from stove to chimney cap?

Swtorguy

Nov 17, 2021
US
TLDR: Horrible product that appears to be inconsistent across the line.

I have the same make and model of stove. It’s horrible in my opinion. So bad the dealer is going to swap it for a different manufacturer all together. My issues are thus:

Open the bypass, let it sit for a minute, then open the front door to load wood: smoke comes pouring in the room from the top of the door opening.

Talked to a fellow online, who has the same stove. This fella has video of the stove maintaining 500F, damper open and controlling intake with the side adjuster. Ran it the same way, and it hit 700F with the intake full closed and damper open.
I can’t adjust the intake to below 4 clicks from full open without it smoking and back puffing. That’s with a full 2 minutes between changes to allow it to adjust. Which means I can’t fully load the stove for the night and walk away like the manufacturer says because anything more than 3 splits and the thing will over fire.

Regardless of how i operate it, the glass gets blacked every time. It will be running 500+, and you can see the soot building up starting from the top center moving outward and downward.

The wood I use is kiln dried hardwood with a moisture content of less than 15% checked on fresh splits in random points of the cord stack. I also had the draft measured and, if anything, it’s too strong according to the tech. Personally, I have no idea what 2 mm vc means, but the dude was happy with it.