Dauntless Rebuild - Fiber Frax insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jimmyjames129

Nov 21, 2023
Usa
Greetings! I recently replaced the damper gasket on my vc dauntless flexburn stove, which required I remove the refractory engi ne ceramic components. There are 2 fiberglass/ceramic gaskets that are needed to go back in, 1 on the bottom of the firebox (refractory gasket) and 1 gasket that sits on a metal frame (ss fireback plate) that goes inbetween the refractory engine and refractory fireback. My question is, how do these gaskets get afixed to the bottom of stove and the fireback plate? Is there an adhesive that is used?
Cheers!

20231121_090215.jpg 20231121_090202.jpg 20231121_091349.jpg

I've noticed the same type of spalling on the back fiber insualtion on my Dauntless as well. Do you have any more pictures of the disassembly or the stove from the front with everything out?

I've noticed the same type of spalling on the back fiber insualtion on my Dauntless as well. Do you have any more pictures of the disassembly or the stove from the front with everything out?

The spalling on the refractory is normal.. this will happen over time and some spalling will not effect the performance of the stove. What will is the gaskets around the refractory engine.. Air leaks through the gaskets is what kills the performance of the stove