Dauntless vs Shelburne

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bert670

Mar 19, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
New member and first post, been reading a lot of reviews and visiting a few shops and have narrowed my choice between the VC Dauntless and the Hearthstone Shelburn. We’ll be converting our attached two car garage into a living/family room this spring. It is attached to a center hall colonial (1800 sq ft) and the only entrance into the new room will be a standard size doorway that will be open (no door). The woodstove will be on the opposite exterior wall from the rest of the house. We’ll be running a double wall pipe through the interior of the house through the roof. The pro’s on the VC are the top loading and dust cover, and the pros of the Shelburn is the soapstone which will retain heat for a longer period of time. As of now we will be installing a stand alone heating/av ductless unit in the new room, so I’d like to run the woodstove in the winter as the primary heat source. Anyone that can provide input good and bad on with models would be greatly appreciated, as I’m having a very tough time deciding between the two.

Last edited:

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Both the Shelburne and the Dauntless have been substantially changed in 2020. We have very little track record on either stove. Both will be radiant heaters and should have average burn times in the 8hr range depending on factors like room heat loss, outside temperature, wood species, desired inside temp, etc. The Shelburne non-cat prior to 2020 was a good medium-sized stove. The shallow firebox makes this primarily an E/W loader. The Dauntless is a re-engineered VC Resolute. In addition to the top-load feature it also has thermostatic operation.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
forgot to mention, the room will be 350 sq ft with a 12’ peak ceiling, which we will have a ceiling fan installed.
That's a small area. If it is well insulated (including the floor) then these stoves may put out too much heat except on the colder days. That may be ok, a good mini-split can handle the load.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I’m not familiar with the term thermostatic operation, can you please explain?
The combustion is thermostatically controlled for longer, more even heat.

bert670

Mar 19, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
begree, thank you very much for the replies. Hopefully someone that may have purchased either of the new stoves will be able to chime in. For now, it seems most people I've asked like the look of the Hearthstone, so it looks like that will likely be the stove I go with. Hopefully I'll be able to post a positive review this upcoming fall.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I have no experience with either, but in your shoes I would go with the Dauntless. The thermostatic operation and cast iron will probably do more for heating your house than the soapstone.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I have no experience with either, but in your shoes I would go with the Dauntless. The thermostatic operation and cast iron will probably do more for heating your house than the soapstone.
The Shelburne is also a cast-iron stove. It has soapstone firebrick instead of conventional firebrick, but no top-loading or thermostatic operation.

Reactions: SpaceBus

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
The Shelburne is also a cast-iron stove. It has soapstone firebrick instead of conventional firebrick, but no top-loading or thermostatic operation.
Thanks for the correction, in that case I have no idea!

bert670

Mar 19, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
I was wondering if the BK Ashford 30 would be a possible contender for the set up I described in the initial post. Wondering if it has a more well known track record with the new epa standards.