de rigueur pics of wood stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I only had the three t-post rows of Hackberry at the start of spring. Was sorely vexed by a woodseller with a wet, short delivery in Feb - never again. Saw you guys were using CL for free scores. I struck out for the first few, but began to win some. Then I made a freak connection for a long-term score near my house. Pics follow because it did happen.

Existing hackberry and some neighbor's cherry and walnut from March or April.

IMG_5377.JPG IMG_5380.JPG

Then I got silver maple and maybe some elm in May thinking if I split small enough I'll be OK this winter (there's ash mixed in at the top).

IMG_5272.jpg IMG_5271.jpg

Then the freak connection where I got Osage and Hickory and some Beech. And another CL score of Ash. It's mixed in all three locations.
IMG_5342.jpg IMG_5339.jpgIMG_5340.jpg

Then more freak hickory.

IMG_5374.jpg IMG_5375.jpg

I really don't have a plan to not block the already split wood if I split any more wood. Next year, I'll get skids to go under the wood with the t-posts, and I'll make the four "toolless" racks into one continuous rack and add another length. And I think a 150' conveyor belt should make getting that stuff up the hill much easier!

I might have close to eight cords? Incredible. Thanks for the help and inspiration.

Attachments

• IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
You sir have a problem, a good problem :p

Well done.

Taking care of your own seasoning will make this wood burning thing easier than many (who don't know yet) would ever believe. And safer as well.

Great job. How much in total are you sitting on now? How much are you expecting to go through this year?

Wow. Looks terrific.

Reactions: Soundchasm
You sir have a problem, a good problem :p

Well done.

Taking care of your own seasoning will make this wood burning thing easier than many (who don't know yet) would ever believe. And safer as well.

Great job. How much in total are you sitting on now? How much are you expecting to go through this year?

I'm counting the carport as two cords and the t-posts as two cords. I'm counting the four cinderblock racks as two cords, and the five skids of ash and hickory "might" make two cords. I'll find out... ;) So possibly eight.

The t-posts are two cords for the upstairs FP, and the carport is two cords for the basement FP.

I was asked in another thread about the moisture content, so I re-split some from every location, and the results made me happy. I know the bottom of the stack won't be as good, but it's all hopeful.
Hackberry 14%
Cherry 14%
Silver maple 20%
Elm 20%
Ash 18%
Osage 20% (14/15)
Hickory 30% (14/15)

I don't think there's a better real-world analogy to the ant and the grasshopper than wood-burning!

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.