Dealer Education and Seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood fan attic
Not really sure how I am making anyone a hero, and a crook is a crook is a crook. Are there crooks in the firewood business? Sure. Is it the majority of them? I don't think so. Here's an analogy for you, if I want a pair of $150 Oakley sunglasses and I decide to buy a pair for $20 from a guy on the street, do I really have a right to be pissed off if I find out they are fakes? I don't think I do. If someone waits until fall or winter to buy firewood and decides that they don't want to pay the $250 a cord to an established dealer and decides to call the guy on cl who is advertising "seasoned wood" for $150 a cord, shouldn't the consumer wonder why the wood is so much cheaper? I am in no way defending dishonesty, but a grown person especially one who is buying a product for the first time should know that they should probably be dealing with an established business, even if that means paying more. My issue is that the same people that will be on here complaining about the price that a long time wood dealer wants for good firewood are the same people complaining that the shady character selling dirt cheap "seasoned wood" ripped them off.

krex1010 said:
Wood fan attic
Here's an analogy for you, if I want a pair of $150 Oakley sunglasses and I decide to buy a pair for $20 from a guy on the street, do I really have a right to be pissed off if I find out they are fakes? I don't think I do.

krex1010 for president!

+1

Excellent and valid points from bogydave, wood-fan-atic, and Krex1010.

One thing I would add is that a few dishonest vendors can make things complicated for everyone else. For example-

"Why should I buy your wood that you split last month when Joe Blow down the road has well seasoned firewood for the same price?"

If you are selling and hear this a half dozen times in a row you would be sorely tempted to stretch the truth somewhat. This can start a domino effect and before you know it everyone in town is selling "well seasoned wood".

Attempting to enlighten folks to the truth of the matter is generally futile. All most people can see is the bottom line $$$.

It would be great if a person who needs wood now could make a phone call and get well seasoned firewood at a great price. Unfortunatley that is not the world we live in. The reality is that if a person wants to heat with wood then you HAVE to plan ahead. In my opinion there really is no avoiding this. By November and December alot of firewood dealers have sold all their best wood, so a person buying wood is left to choose between a well stocked dealer who knows he can charge alot or the small time guy who cuts his wood when someone calls and charges a low price. This is the reality, and new woodburners often learn this the hard way, some never learn. And anyone who spends any time on this forum should know better. If a man can't look around and recognize the realities of the world he lives in then he will suffer the consequences.

Krex & dave - I concur completely....and never would I press a 'reputable' dealer for charging full fare for a superior product.....charge whatever you think is fair for your product. My dander only gets up when lies are passed off as truths - and dealers knowingly purpetrate fraud and rip-off unsuspecting clients. Im 40 yrs old ,and have burned all my life...I can tell green from seasoned. That does not mean I think someone 'got what they deserved' if they are newbs, just bought a stove, are new to the area, or are just plain ignorant. Honestly - I dont mean to come off as the Patron Saint of Woodburning... I just really can't tolerate dishonesty... not from my neighbors, friends, or family. I was raised to always tell the truth- period. Anything less is , well, less than acceptable. In no other genre (did I spell that right), is blatent fraud not only tolerated....but expected. It saddens me, really. And gives all of us a black eye. I know of several co-workers whose opinion of woodburners is that we are a shady, crooked bunch. This is due to the fact that anyone theyve ever known to buy wood has gotten ripped off.
Sorry to go off on a rant ,here, and I can't expect the situation to change,I guess. I just wish people would act more civilized.
;-)

Some of the people who sell firewood dont know any better either, so you have a newbie to wood burning buying from a uneducated seller in some cases, makes for a CF.

Wood fan attic
I am in no way telling anyone to tolerate fraud or dishonesty. I sure as heck am not going to tolerate it. But I am saying that people have to accept that fraud and dishonesty exists, always has and always will. I just feel that people need to be aware of it and be smart enough to learn to recognize it and avoid putting yourself in a position to be taken advantage of. Newbie woodburners are still grown adults, these aren't kids we are talking about. And an adult should understand that when making a cash transaction with someone they found online then maybe they should be aware of the risks. And if you get burned once you learn from it and make sure you don't let it happen again.

Agreed.Still pisses me off,though. It happens time and time again. And will continue to. Every year will be someones first burning.....they will go on good faith that theyre getting the product as advertised....and get ripped off. I am not naieve....nor do I expect Utopia....just perhaps a little more integrity would be nice. Too much to ask for?? :)

Wood fan attic
There are plenty of people out there that have integrity and are honest. I see them everyday. The problem is the majority of people who are happy with their wood dealers don't start threads here, people generally only speak up when they feel like the got shafted.

In your locale, I have no doubt that honest wood dealers are to be found. As one gets closer and closer to suburbia (my neck of the woods,well,few woods,anyway), real estate is at a premium, and room to dry hundreds of cords(or just a few) is harder to find. That, coupled with the fact that in smaller towns, people are less apt to screw one another, the frequency of 'honest' to 'unscroupulous' dealers is disproportionate in suburbia. :sick:

Wood fan attic
I live 15 miles from Philadelphia, right in the burbs. No doubt that with more people=more jerks. And in areas like ours there is greater anonymity to be found for scab dealers, plenty of suckers so they don't have to worry about repeat customers. The element of society that preys on naivette will always be present, the only defense is to not be naive. And actually alot of these guys that are less than honest about how seasoned their wood is can be a great wood supply, as long as you know what you are getting. There is a guy near me that always has good firewood, but he charges $250-275 a cord. If I had to buy wood I wouldn't buy from him. I would go to one of the guys that I know has green wood and get it from him for $150-175 a cord and I would buy it with time to season it myself. Believe me the fact that the firewood market is completely unregulated and is a real barter market carries some risk for the uneducated but it also makes it possible for those who are street wise to get some really good deals, and those deals would not be there if all firewood had to meet up with a code of standards.

wood-fan-atic said:
Krex & dave - I concur completely....and never would I press a 'reputable' dealer for charging full fare for a superior product.....charge whatever you think is fair for your product. My dander only gets up when lies are passed off as truths - and dealers knowingly purpetrate fraud and rip-off unsuspecting clients. Im 40 yrs old ,and have burned all my life...I can tell green from seasoned. That does not mean I think someone 'got what they deserved' if they are newbs, just bought a stove, are new to the area, or are just plain ignorant. Honestly - I dont mean to come off as the Patron Saint of Woodburning... I just really can't tolerate dishonesty... not from my neighbors, friends, or family. I was raised to always tell the truth- period. Anything less is , well, less than acceptable. In no other genre (did I spell that right), is blatent fraud not only tolerated....but expected. It saddens me, really. And gives all of us a black eye. I know of several co-workers whose opinion of woodburners is that we are a shady, crooked bunch. This is due to the fact that anyone theyve ever known to buy wood has gotten ripped off.
Sorry to go off on a rant ,here, and I can't expect the situation to change,I guess. I just wish people would act more civilized.
;-)

I'm in agreement with you. But the also we live in the real world. There are dishonest folks out there (have been always will be)
I believe it come down to me to decide which product I buy. I know I've bought products that did not hold to the sellers high praise.
If possible ask for a refund or swap for better dryer wood. If they say "NO". Never buy from them again. ANd the biggest part of this is to LEARN.
"Very few knowledgeable consumers get screwed" The saying: "Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me" ; holds true yesterday, today & tomorrow.
No law, rule or decree written, will solve dishonesty (how careful are you when you by a used car??)

In the free market system, it is the best product for the best price that will raise to the top.
If you have a dealer for wood that you get good wood from but he charges $50 (or whatever) more & you decide you will try to under cut him & get a load
of wood at $50 less. Then you find out you got low quality wood. Is it the sellers fault, (he knows the going price of good wood yet he's selling his for less)
You shop around, find the best price for the best product you can afford. If you can only afford fresh cut wood, then you have to season it. The guy with good dry wood
does not have to lower his price so you are able to buy it & he works at a loss.
We have been so used to buying cheap & expecting the best, & then complaining if it isn't.
& sometimes taking legal action. That we've forgot is is us the consumer with the power to regulate markets.
My theory is there are not enough "good, honest quality, knowledgeable, consumers" buying good honest products.
"We want it & we want it now", even if we can only but the cheap version we buy it. We want laws to protect us because we don't take & don't want to take the
time of a few extra steps to become knowledgeable good consumers. We then open ourselves up to the dishonest. (who will gladly fill the void we created)

When I get a product I'm not happy with, I try refund, swap but that don't alway work.
I then have just paid for "education, a piece of knowledge" called "Street smarts" .
You know nothing is free, neither is "Street smarts"
So my advice is to learn what dry seasoned wood is, looks like feels like. Buy a moisture meter if that's the way you elect to go.
Don't pay up front, be there to inspect you product before it's laying there with no recourse but to leave it there 2 years to dry before it's usable.

Say the Avg wood price is $250/cord: (& it burns ok)
Don't feel cheated if Joe charges $75 more but it burns great.
Don't feel cheated if Robber, sells you wood $75 cheaper but it don't burn.

AND the "NEWBs" as you called them, have to pay for their education too, we paid for ours.
Some of us buy buying wet, unseasoned wood
Some of us by cutting ourselves & learning what dry seasoned wood is & the work it takes to get it

"NOTHING IS FREE" ** "Sounds to good to be true" "You get what you pay for" "buyer beware"
All these phrases came from someone who paid for an education, one way or the other.

You/we & supply & demand, decide the market price & quality.
The more of us that are educated in the wood burning area, the better it helps us all.
We will create a "niche" , price & quality standards for a wood seller to sell good dry seasoned wood, in the process; educating the wood seller.
But it won't be "cheaper".
It won't get rid of dishonesty, but education will lower it to very few. If there were none, who would we pay to get our education from :)

Right on Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.