December Summer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still very mild for middle of Saskatchewan. 24 F -6 C ish kind of weather right now. It looks like winter is coming by Tuesday, but again, not our normal winter.
Lakes froze up yet? Some of ours did a week ago and then it got warm for a week. Hoping soon. I could use some fresh fish.

You guys are gonna provide that Arctic dip in the jet stream next month that is gonna meet the El Nino moisture coming up the Tennessee Valley from the Southern U.S. that is going to bury us in the Mid-Atlantic in snow. You heard it here first.

Does anyone remember last winter. Same thing happened last December not quite as warm but it was not cold. Then January showed up and we payed for it. I'm sure we get to burn plenty this year. But if we don't look at all the wood that ready for next year. Everyone will be that much farther ahead. I love cutting, splitting, stacking and burning wood as much as the next guy but sixty plus degrees in December is up there on my like list. Going to cut more tomorrow with a buddy shag bark hickory and oak nothing better than doing this when it is warm and dry.

Here in the Midatlantic it was cold and miserable from November to April. There wasn't a single warm day in December that I can remember. I really don't see how it can get any worse than last year.

Lakes froze up yet? Some of ours did a week ago and then it got warm for a week. Hoping soon. I could use some fresh fish.

Guys are out fishing already, I'm not sure I'd trust the bigger lakes though.

Edit to add: I checked the ice on the slough by my place, it's 6-7" right now. Almost thick enough for some "slough logging"

Last edited:
I love it, burning a little to keep the block walls warm. I'll take it, might have burned a whole cord so far. At this rate I'm 5 years ahead not 4 :)
Yep. A real mild winter can put you up another year. I like having a nice cold snowy month at the least.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I worked today, I was down to a t shirt. Going to be just as pleasant tomorrow. It can snow after we get the job I'm on paved, then I can have some well-deserved time off. Working 7 days a week to get it done

Guys are out fishing already, I'm not sure I'd trust the bigger lakes though.

Edit to add: I checked the ice on the slough by my place, it's 6-7" right now. Almost thick enough for some "slough logging"
Tundra and I went for a walk around this little lake today. Ice is 6-8 inches but the warm weather and high winds broke some of it up. Pretty sketchy so I will wait. I dont need trout that bad. Check out the trees in the second and third photo. You can see where the prevailing winds come from!
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG

With the price of oil down ($1.80 last week) and the temps high I still have not lit off the boiler yet. I could but I went thru 14 cord last year. Replaced it all and have even more but this will help with the 3 years ahead plan. I started last season with 31.5 cord thinking I would use 10-11. I have been getting a lot of wood, Poplar, Beech and Oak mostly but a lady wants me to take 3 small Maples and a medium Oak soon and I have a medium Ash and a medium Oak on my property that are a threat to the house so they will be down soon. 3 years ahead is in my future.

They say the snow is coming back to colorado this weekend. Hard to believe, it was about 65 today

They were right, snow all day. Feels like winter is finally gonna set in now.

Edit: Wanted to tell D8Chumley, I like your new pic. That there is a full blade.;)I love slot dozing

Last edited:
Edit: Wanted to tell D8Chumley, I like your new pic. That there is a full blade.;)I love slot dozing
Me too, gives me a different kind of "wood" . I'm just trying to look good next to my buddy running the 10
Seanm, that's some beautiful country you have there

Last edited:
Reactions: D9H and Seanm
Tundra and I went for a walk around this little lake today. Ice is 6-8 inches but the warm weather and high winds broke some of it up. Pretty sketchy so I will wait. I dont need trout that bad. Check out the trees in the second and third photo. You can see where the prevailing winds come from!
View attachment 169142 View attachment 169143 View attachment 169144

Those pictures are so beautiful, thanks for sharing! It just LOOKS cold, and blue and white......

Yesterday I ran the lawn mower over the yard last time for the season to chomp up any stray leaves and to drain the gas, then went out and cut up a little bit of Cherry that I scrounged at the local compost site, and it felt like it was late April or early May. It IS nice, easy on the heating bills and safe driving, but it is just weird; I can see some more bad viruses being borne out of this weird weather, and the last two days there has been an air quality alert issued so that is not good.

The one good thing is it might mean a surplus of scrounging wood in the Spring if we aren't burning through it right now, but we'll see!

Reactions: Seanm
Good time to get some spring chores done, 66 yesterday, 62 today, mid 50s through next week.

The high is 76 today here in north Alabama. Definitely aberrant, normally 50's or 60's.

View attachment 169142 View attachment 169143 View attachment 169144
Beauty pics, nice pup (cool name too). Calling for heavy rain here tomorrow, mixed bag of crappy weather moving up and across Superior / Ontario. Snow by the end of the week. Ground is pretty saturated here right now, we could see some flooding if the rain hits like it did last year in Nov.

I went out in the back yard last week to pick up a bunch of the pup's land mines, almost dragged the mower out just so I could say I did. Definitely warm enough but the grass was still a bit wet, not much sun recently. I did cut through Oct and into Nov this year, which is a first for me.
I grumbled the times I had to mow the grass on Thanksgiving. Now I am going to have to mow it on Christmas Day. >>

I could cut one more time also to mulch up the remaining leaves, if my mower had lights on it lol

Beauty pics, nice pup (cool name too). Calling for heavy rain here tomorrow, mixed bag of crappy weather moving up and across Superior / Ontario. Snow by the end of the week. Ground is pretty saturated here right now, we could see some flooding if the rain hits like it did last year in Nov.
Thanks. Our last husky which was crossed with a timber wolf was named glacier due to him being all white with blue eyes. The thing I find with bare ground in a climate like yours and mine is that you get more frozen pipes when the cold weather hits since there is no insulation from the snow. Hope you get some seasonal weather soon.

Thanks. Our last husky which was crossed with a timber wolf was named glacier due to him being all white with blue eyes. The thing I find with bare ground in a climate like yours and mine is that you get more frozen pipes when the cold weather hits since there is no insulation from the snow. Hope you get some seasonal weather soon.

Me too. Last year i had to cut a path across where my septic line runs with the snowblower, to get to a back shed. Made the mistake of leaving it cleared then Feb brought a month of record cold temps. It froze at that spot. Couple feet of snow makes all the difference.

10 day forecast for us here in central Illinois is showing 5 days with a chance of showers and temps in the high 40s. We don't need any more rain the ground is squishy enough.

You guys are gonna provide that Arctic dip in the jet stream next month that is gonna meet the El Nino moisture coming up the Tennessee Valley from the Southern U.S. that is going to bury us in the Mid-Atlantic in snow. You heard it here first.
Your saying that, or your cat? If its the cat then I'll prepare.

The cat.

Two days in a row my wife has fed the cows in shorts. It's some crazy weather. We've only burned the insert about 5 days so far this season. It's 64˚ now and drizzling. I think the we're going to have to mow the yard again before Christmas. I'm in central NC.

Mowed the longer grass and blew the leaves off the rest with the mower yesterday.......thats one spring job taken care off.

No white christmas in the latest forcast , mid 50 for the 25th. Doesnt break my heart after last winter.

bob

The forecast calls for only 3 days this month with an overnight low of under 39 degrees. Christmas is supposed to be 60.

I may not burn again this month, which is fine by me. I should have extra wood to throw back in the stacks for the future.

Over the years Ive developed anxieties over bad weather conditions so even though I love winter sports and the snow and all those wintery things...a cozy fire and lazy snow outside, Id rather skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.