Decision to take...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Methinks the 3.7 cu ft is marketing. SBI used to advertise useable volume, but several years back they switched to what appears to be total volume of the firebox. The older manuals list the firebox size as 3.4 cu ft.

Methinks the 3.7 cu ft is marketing. SBI used to advertise useable volume, but several years back they switched to what appears to be total volume of the firebox. The older manuals list the firebox size as 3.4 cu ft.
.3 taken up with tubes and c-cast baffle, sounds about right. What's next, claiming a 10 hour burn time? Whoops!

Only if some of the coals get buried real good in some ash would I expect any orange to be left after 10 hours.

I load my stove at 9 when I go to bed and when I re load at 7 or 8 I've got good coal still. No kindling all I do I pull it forward and load the stove with splits. Might not be 10 hour burn times but I'm happy with that.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
.3 taken up with tubes and c-cast baffle, sounds about right. What's next, claiming a 10 hour burn time? Whoops!

Only if some of the coals get buried real good in some ash would I expect any orange to be left after 10 hours.
Easily unless the stove is being pushed hard for heat.

I already feed my osburn 1600 at around 2100 and with the air intake fully closed I don't need to restart it over at 0700 the next morning. So i'm confident I should do same, even better with my new, bigger one ;)

Can't wait to have it and try it out!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You said your basement is drafty? Thats likely from the rim joist area. People used to put pink insulation and some vapor barrier in there. Huge mistake. Causes mold amd still leaks. The only way to do it is spray foam. But you can only do that when its warm out.

A kit will cost about $500 but it will make a world of difference!

My parents live just outside winnipeg and they have a 1300 sq ft bungalow. They have a pretty small stove on the main floor (1.1 cu ft actual) but it does a very good job. Basement is very well insulated main floor is about half done.

Next time its cold and windy go around with a laser thermometer or better yet FLIR camera and check things out. You would be amazed how little things can add up. Pay attention to trim (window and floor) and sockets/switches on the outside wall.

Easily unless the stove is being pushed hard for heat.
I must have a problem somewhere then. In my 2.4 ft SBI firebox, I'm lucky to get 6, air fully closed. Can still get the next load to catch off the coals, but the stove is only warm to the touch.

Probably burning mostly tulip poplar this season has something to do with it. And I'm sure a new door gasket wouldn't hurt.

No matter, I've given up on trying to get more time, once I got in the rhythm, don't even notice. Well, maybe sometimes it's not great at 3 or 4 in the morning.

You said your basement is drafty? Thats likely from the rim joist area. People used to put pink insulation and some vapor barrier in there. Huge mistake. Causes mold amd still leaks. The only way to do it is spray foam. But you can only do that when its warm out.

A kit will cost about $500 but it will make a world of difference!
Yup that's on the project list! Maybe this summer but i'm not sure since i'll already change the wood stove, plus probably the electrical breaker panel, so costly year for me! Also my gf is pregnant so priorities will change a little...

Out with the old, in with the new!

bvDYjkpzSyV1un0D2

c5kEXaksKQdfVEJ23

Les0UTVMADesIE7I3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Les0UTVMADesIE7I3

First of all I would like to thank Cheminees Poeles et Foyers Rock Toulouse from Saint-Georges (Beauce, Quebec) for their excellent service, shipping and installation. For those on the south of the border, they're about 30 minutes from the limits of Maine.

The firebox is really huge, and a clear upgrade to what I had before. I could load easily 18inch N-S, think the drafts states that it can handle 20in NS and 22 EW.
The fan blows nice, little rattle noise but maybe the screws aren't tight enough, I will take a look at it somehow.

Outside temperature the last few days were about 2-3°C (35-37°F). I started the stove with the installation guy, with the temperature in the basement at around 16°C (61°F) and got a small fire to let the paint cure. I opened some windows to let the odour go out. 2 hours later I fueled (reasonnably, since the outside temp wasn't so bad) and closed the windows. 3 hours later it was 26°C (79°F) in the basement and around 23°C (73°F) on first floor. Wow! I never could have reach those temperatures with my Osburn, even if I fueled it all day long. The stove is wayyyy more easy to start than my previous one, I don't really know why but it's a nice aspect.

Somehow, it seems to be less "air-tight" than my osburn, affecting the burning times. It will likely go cold faster. Therefore, remember I didn't fueled it that much since the outside temp is relatively high, so I will experience it more accurately next winter (or if we get another chill period).
I will probably split my logs a little bigger to have a better overnight burn for next winter.
A friend told me he installed a damper on is chimney to control the heat better. When I talked to the install guy about a damper he said that since 2001(ish) it's illegal to install one? Maybe I could reach longer burn times with a damper?

Easier to light and quicker to go cold could both be a property of less stove mass and firebox insulation and the Osburn.

Reactions: McPherson
Easier to light and quicker to go cold could both be a property of less stove mass and firebox insulation and the Osburn.
That makes sense, the osburn was so tight there was no heat coming out... Plenty of firebricks all around (bottom, sides, top) compared to the enerzone (bottom, half height sides, top is C-Cast) and single-wall on half the stove front to back instead of double-wall all-around except top for the osburn