• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alderleanoob

Jan 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
Our PE Alderlea T5 is installed with stone veneer behind it and a mantel from casa de sassi. Very happy with the look. Any ideas/advice for what is safe to put on the mantel as decor? Or just near/around the stove in general? First timer here!

The most important thing is to be sure that the mantel honors the clearance requirements for the stove and stovepipe. What is on the mantel is less important, though if the room gets >90º, candles might not be a good idea. Post a picture for a safety check.

Melting candles.jpg

Reactions: alderleanoob
It looks close. The minimum clearance for double-wall stovepipe is 6". The picture looks more like 4". Also, it may be the camera, but the stovepipe does not look plumb. If this is correct, move the stove forward to correct both issues. Also, the rear clearance minimum for this stove is 5". This would be measured to the nearest combustible, which may be the studs behind the stone veneer.

The minimum clearance for double-wall stovepipe is 6". The picture looks more like 4".
Yeah that mantle is surely not 6" away. Unless maybe it is one of those manufactured stone composite "fake" mantles?

@brenndatomu @begreen Thanks so much for your responses. This is indeed a manufactured stone mantel which is non combustible. Do I still need to be concerned with how close it is to the stovepipe? We didn't install any of this ourselves and would have to hire someone to move it, which we really don't want to do, but of course would if safety was an issue. The stovepipe also looks very plumb in person so I think it was just a weird photo angle, but will check with a level tomorrow just to be sure.

Clearances are to combustibles. A stone mantel is not combustible so not an issue. The stovepipe looks plumb from the front view, but not in the side view. Is the stove pipe the same distance from the wall at the flue collar on the stove as it is 4' above the stove? If it is, the tilt is just a camera aberration.

Clearances are to combustibles. A stone mantel is not combustible so not an issue. The stovepipe looks plumb from the front view, but not in the side view. Is the stove pipe the same distance from the wall at the flue collar on the stove as it is 4' above the stove? If it is, the tilt is just a camera aberration.
Yes, it is plumb! Thanks again. So, because the mantel is not a problem since it's non combustible, my next question would be about placing objects on the mantel. Do I just need to make sure that anything I place on it is non combustible if it's within 6 inches to either the left or the right of the stovepipe (when looking at it from the front)? I'd probably go a few more inches than that just to be on the safe side... but is the stovepipe all I need to worry about, or do I need to worry about the heat coming up from the actual stove as well? Not sure how concerned I need to be about putting picture frames, books, etc at the edges of the mantel. Thank you again for your help.

The most important thing is to be sure that the mantel honors the clearance requirements for the stove and stovepipe. What is on the mantel is less important, though if the room gets >90º, candles might not be a good idea. Post a picture for a safety check.

View attachment 296530
That reminds me of the wrought-iron candle chandelier hanging from an old iron hook in the ceiling near one of my fireplaces in the 1775 kitchen addition. From the constant gentle heat rolling off the stove I have stuffed into the fireplace, the candles always look like they have Peyronie's disease. They used to get changed every year or two, until they'd look real silly, now I just leave the chandelier empty.

Yes, it is plumb! Thanks again. So, because the mantel is not a problem since it's non combustible, my next question would be about placing objects on the mantel. Do I just need to make sure that anything I place on it is non combustible if it's within 6 inches to either the left or the right of the stovepipe (when looking at it from the front)? I'd probably go a few more inches than that just to be on the safe side... but is the stovepipe all I need to worry about, or do I need to worry about the heat coming up from the actual stove as well? Not sure how concerned I need to be about putting picture frames, books, etc at the edges of the mantel. Thank you again for your help.
If the objects don't drape over the mantel they should be ok even if combustible. The cement mantel will act as a shield. Combustible objects will still need to be at least 6" from the stovepipe.

It will help to get a probe thermometer installed in the flue pipe about 18"-24" above the stove to help guide proper stove operation. The Condar Flueguard thermometer is a good one.
https://www.condar.com/Probe_Thermometers.html