defiance volcano

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bones774

Jan 3, 2006
Hi, I just bought a house and it has a defiance volcano wood/coal burning furnace, this unit is placed next to a high efficiency propane furnace and share the same return and supply ducts. Both units are very clean and I know the propane works fine, the previous owner was very meticulous but I cannot find a owners manual for the defiance. I would like to use it but read more about it. The internet has not yielded any answers. Is defiance outta business? Should I just start er up and see how she fires? Any help appreciated. Thnaks Ira

Sounds like it may be a victim of bad brand naming. Somehow the thought of something erupting in the basement is not what I want from a furnace.

Kind of like the Chevy Nova in Latin America.

This is one that is no familiar to me. Hopefully Craig can pick this one up for you.

No va.

(It doesn't go)

HAHAHAHAHA

Jast as an FYI- The house is in the Albany region where I noticed another poster also had a defiance. Maybe it is a very regional brand? Thanks

Some in this recent thread has a Defiance but it looks like a different model. Not sure of any similarities having not seen one except for that thread but it might be worth a look.

The furnace and boiler lines were their major lines - only after they made a lot of money on those did they come up with their Masters Choice stoves and inserts. It was a heavy duty furnace, and as I remember it was controlled by a bimetal thermostat on the unit itself (is that right)....like a coil.

The early models were one piece black, while near the end they had a blue jacket.

It was not a regional brand, it was made in Mich, and was extremely popular. I don't know where you would get a manual (except here with some luck), but I might have a spec sheet that I can scan and posts...I'll look.

Dang things last forever!

The Volcano was an add-on furnace made be Defiance , we used to sell them, and in fact had one hooked up for a time. The link was to their free standing stove the Master Choice. Basic add on furnace, has a little peep hole in the front top face so you can see the amazing secondary after-burn.

Burn-1 said:
Some in this recent thread has a Defiance but it looks like a different model. Not sure of any similarities having not seen one except for that thread but it might be worth a look.

Good one, WW - yes, they will 100% definitely have the manual.

Mr. Mace has long passed on, but he was an "elder" of the stove biz - sold thousands of those Volcanos, and him and his wife were really "country" before country was cool. I remember them feeding me lunch direct from their garden.

Mace supply was originally in Rising Sun, MD, but they moved to be further out in the country as the 95 corridor became too developed.

Thanks for the replies guys. This one has a black exterior. I will have to look for the bimetal tstat(kinda why I wanted the manual).
Yes it does have the peephole at the top. Sounds like a good unit, I know the original house owner was a perfectionist and realy studied something before he bought it. I will givee Mace a call, they may be the only ones who have any memory of this unit. Thanks again.

Hey bones--welcome to the Boiler Room.

Let us know how it works out for you.

The naming thing is funny. Nova is a great example. I used to live in a town in central Wisconsin that had a lot of migrant workers from Mexico, especially during the summer and around harvest time. The local automated carwash was called Robo Car Wash. If I'm not mistaken, "robo" is "I rob you" in Spanish.

Ah, another satisfied Hearth.com customer....

Some Trivia - Webwidow and I (married 35 years now) had a Volcano in our house in the basement! We tended to bring things home from the shop and test them.....I still remember bringing that thing down the inside steps....

Oh, there is some kind of secondary air adjustment as I remember...like a slide on the side of the stove - maybe inside, or maybe out.....
it adds air though the two manifold on the inside - add air to the rear top of the fire, supposedly causing the "Volcano" to perform (note, it does not work as advertised in many cases, but running hot may do the job)

Thanks for the help, everyone. I just emailed Mace energy, I didn't want to phone and bother them on a possibly busy Sat. So, I'll let everyone know how it comes out. Funny thing this homeowner had the manual for every appliance in the house including his toaster, but not this one. Maybe he has it stashed with the money somewhere, lol.

Wow, I didn't realize it would become this interesting. BTW I just read your history page and it states wood burning furnace, on the back of the unit itself it says "wood/coal? burning. I will post any info I receive.

Ok Everyone, I just heard from Tad Twead of Mace energy and he said they have not sold a volcano for 20-25 years, it was before their move, and they have no manuals for the unit. So unless I get lucky and someone reads this forum I'll have to use my noggin to figure it all out.

Now I have a Tremont catalytic insert in my house and I'm gonna have to start searching for tips for that, although I do have the manual I gotta figure out the catalytic stuff. Then I just read yesterday that after removing damper you have to plate it up also? thats a tough dirty job? Thnaks

You'll probably have better luck getting an answer to that last part by posting a new thread in the Hearth Room, bones, with "Tremont" in the title.

Hopefully, you have seen the "how to fa a block off plate" article (should be in the most popular articles in my sig), but it IS a job suited to someone with relatively decent mechanical skills.

I may find a Volcano manual yet (in my travels, not here!).......
I'm surprised Mace does not have some boxes of that old crap - they sold MANY thousands of them. I have two sources I will check when I have time.....

I have a Volcano my parents bought it about 1979.
I will look for the book if it had one.
I changed the wiring to a switch to make it blow hot air when I want it to blow.
IE almost all the time.
The thermal switch did not turn on till it got real hot and the house was still cold. Worthless thermal switch.
To burn coal it required that you buy a special grating.
I use it every day

Welcome to the Boiler Room, idclick1.

Thanks to you and bones774, we're now "The largest and most comprehensive source of information about Volcano wood/coal furnaces on the Internet."

Im just giving this thread a bump if anyone has the manual or can find one and get in ouch with me. Thanks

Still no luck finding the manual on this thing.
I do recall that it was only about two sheets 81/2 x11 double spaced and not too much useful info.
I can tell you almost anything you want to know about that stove.
Feel free to e-mail me.

[email protected]

I will even give you a phone number so we can talk it over if you want.

Bob

I just had one of these donated from my father in law. I was wondering if you ever found the manual? He said he has one, but hasn't been able to find it. Fired it up today, but it was burning too hot. I think I may need to replace the door seal.

Are you closing the vent under the door?
The plate has to be all the way down after you get the fire going.
Find the knob under the door and rotate to the top dead center position should do it.
Then feel of the plate under the vent box under the door on the front of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.