Diamond wheels for chain grinders?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey guys,

Was watching a YouTube video of a guy using an Oregon 511a grinder. He recommends using diamond grinding 'stones' specifically made for chain sharpening by a company called Diamond Wheel Inc (you can Google for their website). Apparently thousands of sharpenings is typical with no change in grinding wheel shape (i.e. no dressing). Only part of the sharpening process requiring the typical stone is for grinding the rakers. Wondering what your thoughts are on this. If a good idea, would be interesting to find out price. Cheers!

Link to video:

More than a couple guys swear by them but sit down if you go to buy one. Typically cost $150 and up.

A couple different types of wheels like that. I believe smokinJ runs a Cyclone Wheel on his setup.

Yikes - that's some cake alright MM! Any idea how many chains you can sharpen with a typical stone wheel? Wonder if it's cheaper in the end if you sharpen lots and lots of chain? Been thinking about offering a sharpening service once I get my 511ax skills in order (bought one before a long trip this summer and still haven't had a chance to get it set up!). Cheers!

That's a good question for Jay since I'm pretty sure he grinds a bit more chain than I do. I'm getting good mileage from the wheels on my USG grinder and at $16 a wheel, I'm tempted to stick with the stones instead of going CBN. I've done several dozen loops so far and I'm probably 1/3 of the way through the wheels useful life.

Thanks MM - looking forward to getting the grinder up and running. Cheers!

They just talked in depth a few days ago "Over there" and they can be $120 to just under $300...

Will go and look for the thread in a bit.

I use one marketed under the "forrester" brand CBN wheel. on a 511a
love it. the old pink one is a paperweight now. Never over heats, never gums up, no dressing stone needed ever. cut as much as you want on first pass.
worth the $100 I paid. anything that makes sharpening easier makes the sawing better for saw and operator.

Very nice Dex - thanks for the link! Angelo - do you happen to know the item number for that wheel? Thanks. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.