Dickinson Newport through wall - can it be done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdy82

Feb 15, 2022
Vancouver
Hi there,

I have a little cabin and am considering getting the dickinson newport solid fuel heater. I am unable to go through the roof and am wondering if anybody has experience with wall exits with this or any other stove that uses 3 inch pipes.

I know that elbows are not idea, but is it really that bad?

Thanks

I installed a small (1cu. ft.) wall-mounted wood stove in a small cabin for a friend, that couldn’t be vented thru the roof. I don’t remember the brand, but it was designed for use in a boat. I used 3” ICC Excel pellet vent 12” up to a 90. Then an 18” horizontal thru an Excel wall thimble to a tee, & then up 36” to the cap. The unit came with a wall-mounted heatshield. I told her that she had to keep a close eye on it as the temps from the wood stove stove may exceed the rating for the pellet vent. She’s been using it for 4 winters now without issue. She pulls the clean-out cap from the tee & brushes the venting about every 6 weeks, but doesn’t get much build up. Good luck with your project.