Did I get burnt? (accidental pun)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Just picked up an Englander 13nc for 450 plus uncle sam's cut. Think i gotta pretty good deal. Didnt come with a blower so where can i get one? Were can i get te outside air duct work? also how do i tell the difference between a 13-nc-clp and a 13-nc-mh both models are listed on the back but neither is marked as to which i have. thanx 4 the help.

oilstinks said:
Just picked up an Englander 13nc for 450 plus uncle sam's cut. Think i gotta pretty good deal. Didnt come with a blower so where can i get one? Were can i get te outside air duct work? also how do i tell the difference between a 13-nc-clp and a 13-nc-mh both models are listed on the back but neither is marked as to which i have. thanx 4 the help.

the 13-ncmh has an outside air intake and is the only model listed on the tag that is currently in production , the 13-nc-clp was the origional model (clp stands for "cabinet, leg, pedistal") as for the blower, its optional , you can get that through the manufacturer by calling the 800 number listed in the manual or looking it up on the website www.englanderstoves.com the OAK ducting is not a standard kit we do not carry one for woodstoves due to the many different configuration that could be needed.

oilstinks said:

NO, OIL STICKS, YOU DID NOT GET BURNED, YOU MADE A GREAT SCORE.
SO good a score that many here wish it had been them instead of you.
None of the englander stoves come with a blower,it is a 159.99 extra cost option, but you can always stick any 24 inch box fan behind the stove & point it in any direction you want & the heat will roll forth.

The blower is still a great idea in addition to the box fan because the blower will get out the heat between the back wall heat shield & the stove & the box fan can't do that.
www.englanderstoves.com & find your model stove ,then click on accessories for your model stove & you will see the blower with the variable speed control. The price is quite reasonable,
considering that it comes with the speed control.

OUTSIDE AIR KIT --- MAKE IT YOURSELF MODEL FOR 20% OF WHAT SOME MFG CHARGE.
First, measure the diameter of the outside air coupling on the stove. I have an idea that it is 2 inch but not sure. it could be 3 inch. write down the measurement.

SECOND--- How far away from the wall where you are going to put the outside air hose thru is the stove? Measure & write down on paper.

THIRD--- Go to AUTO ZONE or ADVANCED AUTO PARTS or your local car parts store & buy
2 inch diameter or 3 inch diameter HEAT RISER TO CARB AIR INTAKE HOSE. This hose comes off the exhaust manifold and provides hot air to the 1070 to 1986 cars air filter for cold starts. THE HOSE IS FIREPROOF and flexable & accordian out to 3 feet long.
BUY THE LONGEST ONE THAT THEY HAVE IN STOCK OF THE PROPER DIAMETER.
If they only have a 1 ft or 2 ft hose, try another auto parts store or have them order in for you the longest one that they can get, BUT NOT OVER 3 FEET LONG.

FOURTH, on runs in excess of 3 ft, you need to change diameter of the hose to 4 inchs to allow for restriction of air flow due to excessive length of run. I think that the 4 inch diameter is good for lengths up to 20 ft.SO ,YOU WILL NEED A REDUCER FROM 4 INCH TO 3 INCH, OR 2 INCH , AS YOUR CASE REQUIRES. Note the diameter measurement I asked you to write down on a piece of paper.

FIFETH, measues the length of 4 ft pipe you will need to complete your run. you can use plastic pipe,which is cheapest, or steel pipe,more costly, or dryer vent 4 inch dia snap fit
which is like stove pipe but too thin steel to take the heat. It could be even aluminum dryer pipe.

SIX. DONT FORGET TO BUY ADIQUATE HOSE CLAMPS OR REQUIRED DIAMETER. steel worm gear from car parts or 3 inch or 4 inch squeeze clamp or screw & nut clamp from home depot, lowes or local hardware store or lumberyard & these are the places to find the 4 inch plastic pipe or dryer vent pipe too. Other places that will have your parts are major appliance repair parts shops & oil burner repair parts shops & plumbing shops.

You can thank me later!!!

That will be easy seeing as how i wok part-time at Advance Auto. My stove has a pedestal. Does that make it the clp. As i understand the pedestal and outide air make it mobil home approved.

my stove came on the pedistal but with the leg kit inside the stove in a cardboard box.
as long as you have the circular cold air intake in the back of the stove ,the hookup of the cold outside air tub should be fairly simple & straight forward. The hardest part will be cutting the hole thru the wall. a sawzall or a sabre saw will both work well for this job or a hole saw that fits on an electric drill.

Just try to miss the 2x4 studs. they a groan to have to saw through.

Status
Not open for further replies.