Did my roofers mess up my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sophwil

Feb 15, 2022
Washington state
Recently had my roof replaced and after the job my outer pipe for my chimney was off center, roofers said it wasn’t a problem but recently my chimney started leaking smoke into my house at the top near the ceiling. I’m trying to work with my roofers to resolve this but they don’t think that the problem could be because of the off center pipe.

I will attach two pictures one of the base so you can see how off center the pipe is, and the second of he area that smoke is coming out. I would like to know what you guys think the cause of the smoke is and whether or not the pipe being off center is a problem. Thanks for any and all help!

6BA8C9C1-98EA-455E-B307-57F6B6C39454.jpeg FE5DD45C-2F42-45F3-9BD5-E28DEE5837E8.jpeg

That definitely is not right. The stovepipe looks like it is barely connected to the stove. The chimney and stovepipe should be plumb, not half-cocked. Can you get a level on the chimney to check this? What is supporting the chimney pipe?

Can you post pics of the outside?
That definitely is not right. The stovepipe looks like it is barely connected to the stove. The chimney and stovepipe should be plumb, not half-cocked. Can you get a level on the chimney to check this? What is supporting the chimney pipe?
There is an inner piece of the chimney coming up from the woodstove and an outer metal pipe coming through a metal flange type part that is on the ceiling.

Before the roof was done, there was a gap between the top of the stove and the pipe coming down from the ceiling. However the outer pipe was an equal distance from the inner pipe on all sides. Now the outer pipe is mashed against the inner pipe on one side. I will attach two more photos let me know if you need any more clarification - I’m new to woodstoves.
Also attaching two pictures of the level one is on that upper flange, the other is below it on the main pipe next to where the leak is.

984FF46D-8CDF-4050-8AF0-D8FB364A24C5.jpeg 2B595DD8-6B3E-4D72-9EF2-67D260E250AB.jpeg 76586D45-AB40-434F-BBCB-9B02B5440211.jpeg 9F14A841-5BFD-4010-B5A4-4E66848BABB6.jpeg

Yes they screwed it up for sure.
Ok thanks, that’s what I thought but they want to send their chimney guy out because they don’t think it’s the roofing job that did it. How can you tell from the outside? The more I know the better so they don’t try to not take responsibility for it.

Can you nudge the stove over to realign the piping to the stove?

Reactions: MAD MARK
Can you nudge the stove over to realign the piping to the stove?
Easiest solution involving the least amount of people and incurring the least amount of angst for you.

But, they should make it right regardless.

Thats a pretty small storm collar too. Most that I have seen are much bigger. Is that the one that was on it before your roof was done?

Definitely not the correct storm collar. Too small, and it is not pitched correctly to shed water. Looks like the water will pool on it. Just askign for a leak down the pipe. If that is roof cement as a sealant, that's not going to last more than 6 months if that.

In photo, there is a shingle seam to the left of the bottom of the flashing. That is a no in my book. Too close to where water will run fown the flashing pan. And that shingle over the pan at bottom is tapering downward towards that seam. That seem runs up under the shingle over it a full course and slightly under the course above that. That is too close to where water will be running around & down that flashing.

There should not be any seams in the course covering the top of the pan either. If an ice damn builds up under the shingle on top of the flashing up top, it could back up and find such a seam and run in the seam.

This issue may not happen, but it can be an issue at some point, that is why we never ran seams over the pan, or that close.

flashing copy.jpg

Reactions: armanidog