Did we just ruin our brand new $3000 stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have soapstone counters that I put mineral oil on to get them darker like the "stains" that you ended up with. There are two things that I have found will pull up the oil, the rubber feet of appliances or tape. You could try putting a small piece of masking tape on one of the stains for a few minutes and then pull it up.

Just oil the rest of it so it looks even then burn it it will all cook off before long. Soap stone is nothing like marble or granite nothing really penetrates it. Because of that even it you did get a stain on the surface you can pretty easily sand the surface and remove it. It also works with regular wood working equipment so regular sand paper works on it. Just work your way finer and finer. Then polish with 0000 steel wool

I once made the mistake of treating my Woodstock Classic with mineral oil after I read an article on how the mineral oil would condition the stone (turns out they were talking about counter tops and not woodstoves). The stove looked great when I was finished. However, no one has mentioned what it smell like when it is cooked off later when you burn the stove. Be prepared for some really bad smell for some time to come. My stove actually did some smoking as the oil baked off.

I once made the mistake of treating my Woodstock Classic with mineral oil after I read an article on how the mineral oil would condition the stone (turns out they were talking about counter tops and not woodstoves). The stove looked great when I was finished. However, no one has mentioned what it smell like when it is cooked off later when you burn the stove. Be prepared for some really bad smell for some time to come. My stove actually did some smoking as the oil baked off.

Probably like a cast iron pan that gets too hot.

I've heard a few mineral oil horror stories.
Why add to the madness? Just burn off what's there, the oil is simply laying in the surface. Hopefully that rock can get hot enough to do that! ;lol

Reactions: bholler
'Cause then the thread would be finished in a half hour. This way we can discuss it for days.:)

Give honey a hug, this is not permanent. Suggestions made including for revolting lunches. This one has headed off the rails.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.