Digital stove top Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realstihl

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2007
eastern kansas
I can't get back to any of the old threads concerning digital thermometers and stove top. Seem most everyone that uses these are not getting correct top temps using a probe with magnet. I have been in touch with Auberins tech support but have no solution yet. It really bugs me that when the stove top temp is 500 deg. that the digital only says 400 deg. Surely there is a solution. I'll see what happens.

If you are just looking for stove top only, the best way is an IR gun. You can get these on sale for $20 and they will allow you to check the stove from your easy chair, check all over the stove and stove pipe.

I don't understand your statement about "It really bugs me that when the stove top temp is 500 deg. that the digital only says 400 deg"

If you are just looking for stove top only, the best way is an IR gun. You can get these on sale for $20 and they will allow you to check the stove from your easy chair, check all over the stove and stove pipe.

I don't understand your statement about "It really bugs me that when the stove top temp is 500 deg. that the digital only says 400 deg"
The 500 is measured with an ir gun. The magnetic also is the same as IR gun.

I made my own magnetic thermocouple and it seems to work better than the premade units.

In the end I have found that using the exhuast is the best place to keep an eye on temps on my stove.

I ended up using this k type thermocouple for my install: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=307

You can put a magnet on top of it to hold it down to the top and still get good readings.

Reactions: spirilis
I can't get back to any of the old threads concerning digital thermometers and stove top. Seem most everyone that uses these are not getting correct top temps using a probe with magnet. I have been in touch with Auberins tech support but have no solution yet. It really bugs me that when the stove top temp is 500 deg. that the digital only says 400 deg. Surely there is a solution. I'll see what happens.
when you say "probe with magnet", do you mean setting a probe on the stove top and setting a magnet down over top of it? or do you actually mean the magnetic thermocouple like this?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=233

is the probe being placed where the stove mfg recommends placing a thermometer? I just bought this kit today with magnetic thermocouple and the wireless module for remote placement. I would hate to think that it's inaccurate to the point it causes issues. The website says that its within +/- 5 degrees of the entire range.

The probe sits on top of the stove similar to the one shown. Let us know how yours works out. I was contacted by tech support at Auberins and they said the probe can't contact the magnet. It probably will need some high temp insulation to be accurate.

a

Well to this point I have been using a Rutland magnetic thermometer so what I'll do is place them symmetrically on either side of my stove top (F3) like Jotul recommends and compare the 2 while burning. If the difference is drastic, I'll grab an IR gun to see what the actual numerical difference is and just adjust the temps for the high and low end alarms accordingly.

I made my own magnetic thermocouple and it seems to work better than the premade units.

In the end I have found that using the exhuast is the best place to keep an eye on temps on my stove.

I ended up using this k type thermocouple for my install: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=307

You can put a magnet on top of it to hold it down to the top and still get good readings.
Good idea, much cheaper and I think I have a small neodymium magnet I could fit on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.