Direct vent propane stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is it a fireplace or an alcove. Call the lintel a mantle and shield it???? Vent free logs????
It's not a fireplace. Not anymore, anyway. It may have been the fireplace to the original 1730's structure that the present house is built atop, but now it's just serving as a foundation for a large cooking fireplace in the newer (1770's) kitchen above. It's basically an alcove, with a ceiling made of 6x8 timbers.

Here's a photo, looking up from where the stove will sit.

IMG_8686.JPG

Also, most mantel spec's include a maximum depth near 12 inches, and this would be more like 33 inches deep.

But I may have found some options that fit under this 58" mantel limit. Unfortunately, they're $2k - $3k, versus the $500 - $700 of the units I was originally considering. Again, just a basement rec room, not our living room. So I wasn't aiming to get something very high-end here.

Okay, here's what I've found so far, which appear to all fit below a 58 inch lintel. Some of the heights need to be verified, esp. Buck who has conflicting info, but I believe these are close to correct:

$1447 Ashley AGVF340LP, 34k BTU, H > 49"
$1469 Buck T-33 w/legs, 32k BTU, H > 57.5"
$1901 Buck 329B, 33k BTU, H > 57.25"
$2000 Buck 384LP, 33k BTU, H > 57.25"
$2249 Breckwell BH32ZVF, 32k BTU, H > 52"
$3001 Ashley AGC500VFLP, 32k BTU, H > 52"

edit: I think that last Ashley has an error in their manual, which might disqualify it.

Last edited:
Stove is in! Went with Buck T-33 w/legs. Now a question on hookup.

Any issues with placing a sediment trap (i.e. 4" pipe stub drop) outside the house, rather than inside? It would create an eyesore inside, given the location of the wall feed-thru. So if there's no issues with freezing or anything, I'd rather put it on the outdoor end of the 30" x 3/4" stainless pipe nipple that is my wall feedthru. Also, outdoor end of that pipe is lowest point in the system, as the wall penetration was drilled on a downward angle from inside to out (to drain any rain or wall seepage outdoors).