Dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djs_net

Nov 25, 2011
CT
My Breckwell P2000i has been running great, I've been very happy with the heat. I shut it down every 3-4 days on average to clean (vac, scrape the burnpot and clean the glass).
Is it normal that the glass gets dirty/ashy after only 1 day of burning? It doesn't seem to matter what type of pellets I burn (currently burning Hamers) or what setting I have the stove on (usually 2 or 3)
After about 24 hours, the glass looks like this:

Attachments

• P2000iGlass.jpg
    P2000iGlass.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 617
Clear your air wash of ash. Sometimes the air wash is adjustable. I don't know about yours.

It is usually at the bottom of the glass and allows a bit of air to enter the area of the glass, this air goes up and out with the rest of the exhaust. It provides somewhat of a shield that prevents stuff from settling out onto the glass. They are rarely 100% effective and tend to work better at high firing rates.

Ditto to what Smokey said, and also the particular brand of pellet you burn has an effect too. Some soot the glass more or less than other brands, and every different stove and install type has an effect.

Some stoves just do this by nature. Mine does. I don't like it but I'd take a little fog on the glass over bad(no heat) pellets any day. If you mess around with the air/fuel, different pellets etc. you might be able to make it much better.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Clear your air wash of ash. Sometimes the air wash is adjustable. I don't know about yours.

It is usually at the bottom of the glass and allows a bit of air to enter the area of the glass, this air goes up and out with the rest of the exhaust. It provides somewhat of a shield that prevents stuff from settling out onto the glass. They are rarely 100% effective and tend to work better at high firing rates.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It takes mine around 5-7 days before its real dirty. I wondered what those little holes were for,now I know...Makes sence...
Thanks,

Tony

My Accentra FS has its own characteristic pattern of soot/ash on the glass and it starts building up within hours of a cleaning. I have started using Madame Defarge's stove-top ceramic glass cleaner and it seems to be delaying the buildup, especially on the center of the glass where there is never more than a film.

Attachments

• Soot Pattern on Glass.jpg
    Soot Pattern on Glass.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 367
Thanks for the replies.
I'll look for (and clean) the air wash next time I shut it down for cleaning. I don't think it's adjustable because I've never noticed any adjustment and there's no mention of it in the manual. There definately is some sort of air wash because the very bottom of the glass never gets dirty.
I'll also try the glass/stove-top cleaner...mostly I just use a damp paper towel to clean the glass.

My P35i has a similar pattern to the Accentra. Here's mine after less than a day (if this is not normal please let me know) burning Logik-e's 100% hardwood. It was alot worse when I was burning NEWP.

Attachments

• IMG_0550_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0550_edited-1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 343
Status
Not open for further replies.