Disaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for all the offers to help everyone. It's truly heartwarming and you're all too kind. I'm near just east of Worcester near 495/9 intersection.

I think if it's something we decide to go ahead with it would be best in the early spring once the weather breaks. It's not safe to go back and forth to my racks from the driveway this time of year, it's a steep slope and very slippery. Last thing we need is another injury. Also by then I'll be well enough to hang out with everyone, even if I can't participate! Right now I'm just a cripple in a recliner lol
Sounds good. We've already had a few members express interest in helping out, so just give us a heads up when we get closer to when you'd like us to come and maybe I'll start a new thread at that point to get a final head count and finalize plans.

Looking forward to it!

Reactions: trucklyhow
Hi All - it's been almost 2 weeks since my injury so I thought I'd share a brief update. It's been tough sledding, its just a very painful and limiting injury. Not being able to rest comfortably takes its toll both physically and mentally. I'm pretty bored but hanging in there. My wife and kids are helping bring the wood inside and passing to me so I can load/run the stove. I'm thankful for having so much family support.

Here are some new body art pics from this morning:

20220121_083441.jpg

20220121_083433.jpg
20220121_093958.jpg

Yeah, recovery can be such a seemingly slow process. I had my prostate cut out in April. Had catheter in for 7 days (not fun but learned to deal with it). Sleeping or not sleeping compounds the stress and exhaustion. I found walking every day multiple times a day was such a huge help. I did a ton of walking presurgery to help with recovery and it made a huge difference. You are getting out of shape during recovery and walking or other exercise helps slow that, while increased blood flow speeds recovery. Taking the dog out if he's not pulling or jumping makes multiple walks more fun. And of course my dog was very willing to always go out. Hang in there, the worst is already over. I'm back 100% and still playing paddle tennis at a very high level, just as fast and good as before the surgery. I'm 56 so recovery is slower for us "old guys".

Thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to try paddle tennis. I was a d2 tennis player back in college. I tore up my wrist when I was 28 or so and while it healed ok it really isn't the same. It's maybe 85% range of motion and gets sore easily so I gave up playing competitively. I will just play with the kids now or hit some balls here or there with old friends. I had a good run.

I agree the constant sitting and lack of mobility is bad both physically and mentally. I'm actually going to go outside tonight and walk around that will be nice. My father is coming over to help me fill up the basement wood rack (it holds about a week's worth) and this weekend we're gonna make more kindling. I'm keeping my elbow as active as I can with bending and stress balls... the elbow hurts more than anything else right now with the swelling pooling. I need to keep forcing myself to get up and about and not be lazy and pout.

While Gordon is exceptionally well behaved I can't take him out myself. He's just too big and strong. If he saw something and yanked me accidentallyor an aggressive dog showed to etc I'd be helpless. Thankfully with his size he only needs to go out twice a day really so my wife and neighbor have been talking care of him. He just lays on the floor or couch keeping me company like a good boy.

I found some old puppy pics of him, check this out:

20190914_185355.jpg

Then I took this today for comparison:

20220120_132741.jpg

Good boy keeping me company!

20220120_095441.jpg
20220120_102039.jpg
20220117_133738.jpg

That is one "worthless dog" if I ever saw one...nice pictures...This type of break takes time but it could have been so much more worse--just takes time and"= "light exercise" for now...and walking is good for you...Wait until you try to take out the clothes out of the dryer you find out quick you need to use your other hand.., or even comb your hair---its rough but it will heal just fine and that bruising will go away too in a few more weeks...Glad you have a neat doggy to keep you company..Get well soon...clancey

Paddle is awesome. So much fun. I don't really even play tennis anymore, we play paddle all year instead. If you are ever done in NJ and want to play, let me know. There are some Top players up by u too.

Gordon's Head is Gigantic!

There is a paddle tennis court that was moved up the Northern NH area years ago. The locals used to get together and shovel it off and play all winter. Not sure how much use it gets these days as the crowd that used it are getting on in years.

There is a paddle tennis court that was moved up the Northern NH area years ago. The locals used to get together and shovel it off and play all winter. Not sure how much use it gets these days as the crowd that used it are getting on in years.
Guys drop dead on our courts. They literally play till their dieing day. It’s amazing to see the 90 year old men and women out there on the courts.

ooooouuucccchhhh i hope ya feel better .... i know how ya feel i ended up breaking my shoulder less than a month after having a massive surgery on same shoulder

ooooouuucccchhhh i hope ya feel better .... i know how ya feel i ended up breaking my shoulder less than a month after having a massive surgery on same shoulder
Oh man, that's awful. What happened? I'm terrified of it not healing right and needing surgery after all this time.

Reactions: patrickk222
Oh man, that's awful. What happened? I'm terrified of it not healing right and needing surgery after all this time.
i was told by the surgeons schedulers that i should go take my chit somewere else if i knew it was messed up plus there wasnt much the surgeon could did at the time considerin he went back to italy for christmas

Just remember two years back I had terrible tendinitis in my wrist up to my elbow. Had some wood to split. Ordered an X17 it’s a good one handed splitter. When you get to that point of recovery.

Thanks for the advice!

Small update in doing a little better. I'm still extremely limited but can walk around and do a few more things around the house myself like get dressed and shower. I went for a walk today which was nice. Slowly but surely improving!

My next appointment is on Tuesday, I'm anxious to see the new x-rays and see my progress.

Glad to hear of the improvements, Caw!

My nine year old wanted to send you a couple of pictures as a get well card of sorts. The first is our own sad log trimming that sits on our mantel. The second is one we only spotted as I was loading the stove the other night. My daughter took the picture a bit too close, so it’s grainy, but she called it “Polar Bear Log.” Enjoy.

4D4732E0-BB73-4B3A-B7A1-27D72D6D5A88.jpeg22514D72-302C-477E-B4D3-FAF596AB8884.jpeg

Glad to hear of the improvements, Caw!

My nine year old wanted to send you a couple of pictures as a get well card of sorts. The first is our own sad log trimming that sits on our mantel. The second is one we only spotted as I was loading the stove the other night. My daughter took the picture a bit too close, so it’s grainy, but she called it “Polar Bear Log.” Enjoy.

View attachment 290762View attachment 290763
Thank you for the well wishes everyone!

Great log art! I see what your daughter is getting at with polar bear log. Looks like we have sad log cousins on our hands here lol.

I broke my foot last year when a heavy slab fell on it. Broke at least one of the long bones in the top of the foot. It hurt like hell and even turned purple. My wife is an herbalist and put some kind of herb on it and I was back on my feet in about 3 days with no pain and the bruising was gone. I don't remember the name of the herb, but I can ask her if you want me to.

I broke my foot last year when a heavy slab fell on it. Broke at least one of the long bones in the top of the foot. It hurt like hell and even turned purple. My wife is an herbalist and put some kind of herb on it and I was back on my feet in about 3 days with no pain and the bruising was gone. I don't remember the name of the herb, but I can ask her if you want me to.
Thanks for the offer but I think im mostly through the thick of the constant bad pain and bruising. If I don't push it I can get comfortable after the morning stiffness settles down. It's just going to be a time and hard work thing moving forward if all goes well at the next ortho visit.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hang in there! Hope you heal up quickly. Nice to hear all the great folks here ready to pitch in and help. Well done by the kiddos too.

Reactions: thewoodlands
A speedy recovery to you , I’m in a situation myself which is going to take all winter to recover. I had a total knee replacement surgery on December 16 and I spent the 3 months prior getting ready. I’m 3 yrs ahead on my wood and this years wood is stacked in the barn , just outside my boiler room . 3 face cord is stored inside the basement for the wood stove. I had the advantage to prepare where as you were just thrown into your situation. After 6 weeks now I’m able to prepare what’s needed to get ready for my other knee replacement surgery on March 17 . The part I hate the most is sitting , I never was a big tv person, but I’m trying to be productive everyday . Hang in there and hopefully every day will get you closer to a full recovery.

Looks like you may be getting a lot of snow, be real careful you do not overdo it!

The snow is really coming down out there! The wife and I brought in a lot of wood yesterday so we don't have to trudge to the stacks for a few days. She got on the beast and did the whole driveway herself! I shoveled the steps and brushed off the cars with 1 arm. My poor right arm is exhausted lol. I'm finally able to put my big jacket on correctly now though and do some mild tasks so that felt good. I just have to be very careful with my movements and not take any risks. I'm still in a lot of pain when I'm just resting so doing some chores is a nice distraction.

My wife is 5'4 120 lbs soaking wet and here she is running the snowblower! Is a 9 hp 26" Ariens. It is a big piece of equipment for a small person to run! Proud of her. She did a great job!

Cool! I'm just inside after (useless, see wind) shoveling.

Hope the power stays on.

Last edited:
About a foot or so here in NJ with drifts a bunch deeper. Wind just started laying down a bit. Got the walk done and neighbor blew almost all the sidewalks on our street. Good Dude! Thought this would be powder with the temps but not so. Fairly heavy.

Then we were lucky; it's pure powder here.