Disposing of waste oil - Popular Science

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do still put my antifreeze right down the sink drain, and we have septic. What should I be doing with it?
Our recycling center in town takes it. When you put it in your septic your just putting it in the ground on your property. Your well can't be far away. Not something I would do.

I'm not sure we have that service here, I will look into it. I know one of the local towns does a Hazardous Materials drop off once or twice per year, mostly for paints and solvents, but I didn't know that coolant even qualified.

As to it ending up in our ground water, we have fairly impervious clay soil, and the septic is near the surface whereas the well is 150 feet down and 300 feet away. I suspect anything going into septic will make it downhill to the river, long before it can end up in the well, but still want to follow whatever the law or recommended practices are.

To be honest, I did research this 20 years ago, and back then the advice I found repeated everywhere was to just pour it down the sink. Like all things, perhaps the thinking on this has changed, over the years.

Propylene Glycol is actually pretty benign in surface soils and water.

I use canola oil in my saws for environmental and health reasons. Our property is 1000 feet from the high tide line, so a lot of stuff is going to make its way out there. However, I do realize that my single contributions are very insignificant compared to all of the grease, oils, etc that come off of the vehicle traffic and winter plowing.

All I know is antifreeze is very toxic to small animals. Cats and dogs can die from drinking just a small amount. You may be perfectly safe with what your doing. They just warn us around here not to leave even a small amount out where someones pet can get to it. They are attracted by it's sweet smell.

Propylene Glycol is actually pretty benign in surface soils and water.

I use canola oil in my saws for environmental and health reasons. Our property is 1000 feet from the high tide line, so a lot of stuff is going to make its way out there. However, I do realize that my single contributions are very insignificant compared to all of the grease, oils, etc that come off of the vehicle traffic and winter plowing.

Normal automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which is significantly more toxic. Propylene glycol is actually used in some food additives.

That being said ethylene glycol breaks down in soil in a matter of months.

Normal automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which is significantly more toxic. Propylene glycol is actually used in some food additives.

That being said ethylene glycol breaks down in soil in a matter of months.
Thanks for the correction, but yes, both are pretty benign in the environment. The half life is around two days for EG, so not a big deal.

All I know is antifreeze is very toxic to small animals. Cats and dogs can die from drinking just a small amount. You may be perfectly safe with what your doing. They just warn us around here not to leave even a small amount out where someones pet can get to it. They are attracted by it's sweet smell.

The issue with leaving out antifreeze is the concentration of toxins. Adding it to a septic tank or even a pond is totally a non issue.

I've got a few, a benefit of my family living in the same neighborhood for more than 300 years, things get passed down. The bow saws were stolen years ago, but I still have one very large one-man crosscut, as well as a two-man job. Never had a second man with enough coordination or timing to make the two-man work well, tho. ;lol
Same here. With one, it' mostly push to cut. Hocky players, sawers tend to get hurt because they are always pushing on things. Two, pulling is far more effective, and "easier". I have pictures of my grandfather cutting large oaks and locust for posts. Of course whoever was taking the picture was the one on the other end. Someone must have gotten a new Brownie camera in 1918. The one man is old, but is almost like brand new. It pretty much goes unused now. Had to quit doing that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we have that service here, I will look into it. I know one of the local towns does a Hazardous Materials drop off once or twice per year, mostly for paints and solvents, but I didn't know that coolant even qualified.

As to it ending up in our ground water, we have fairly impervious clay soil, and the septic is near the surface whereas the well is 150 feet down and 300 feet away. I suspect anything going into septic will make it downhill to the river, long before it can end up in the well, but still want to follow whatever the law or recommended practices are.

To be honest, I did research this 20 years ago, and back then the advice I found repeated everywhere was to just pour it down the sink. Like all things, perhaps the thinking on this has changed, over the years.
Antifreeze is toxic. Might want to update that info. I'd be surprised to hear anyone suggesting that. Here is what our state dept. of ecology has to say.:
  • Never pour spent antifreeze down or on:
    • The ground.
    • Sewers.
    • Storm drains.
    • Septic tanks.
    • Dry wells.
  • Keep used antifreeze equipment (funnels, pads, storage containers) separate from equipment used with other wastes.
  • Drain antifreeze from radiators and heater cores as soon as possible to prevent spills.
  • Keep spill control equipment in a central location and accessible to employees. Train employees to use it.
  • Routinely recycle spent antifreeze so you accumulate less.

it shuts down the kidneys

Antifreeze is toxic. Might want to update that info. I'd be surprised to hear anyone suggesting that. Here is what our state dept. of ecology has to say.:
  • Never pour spent antifreeze down or on:
    • The ground.
    • Sewers.
    • Storm drains.
    • Septic tanks.
    • Dry wells.
  • Keep used antifreeze equipment (funnels, pads, storage containers) separate from equipment used with other wastes.
  • Drain antifreeze from radiators and heater cores as soon as possible to prevent spills.
  • Keep spill control equipment in a central location and accessible to employees. Train employees to use it.
  • Routinely recycle spent antifreeze so you accumulate less.
What are these suggestions based on? When I took chemistry two all of the data I could find on typical antifreeze used in the transportation sector is a non issue environmentally. I was actually very surprised by this given the acute toxicity for many animals. I'll try and see if I can find the journal papers on it.

Edit: Here's the study

Reactions: Ashful
Antifreeze is toxic. Might want to update that info. I'd be surprised to hear anyone suggesting that.
So, I spent another 30 seconds on Google with this, and yes... of course it's toxic in the concentration used in a car. We all know that, but the question is whether it is a problem when poured into a septic or municipal waste system, where plenty of other toxins (drain cleaner, laundry detergent, etc.) also go. Being "toxic" is not of any relevance, when talking about a septic or municpal waste system.

So, I include the term "EPA" in my search criteria, as they usually have the final word on any such thing. Each of their references to automotive antifreeze are very ambiguous, stating "many sewage treatment agencies discourage or forbid wate antifreeze disposal into sanitary sewers." When I see an official entity like the EPA use words like "many" rather than "all", and include "discourage" rather than simply "forbid", I know that the jury is still out on this.

Reactions: woodgeek
Pouring antifreeze into the septic has the possibility of killing all of the bacteria in it that is used to break down the solid waste that goes into the system when you flush the toilet.

So, I spent another 30 seconds on Google with this, and yes... of course it's toxic in the concentration used in a car. We all know that, but the question is whether it is a problem when poured into a septic or municipal waste system, where plenty of other toxins (drain cleaner, laundry detergent, etc.) also go. Being "toxic" is not of any relevance, when talking about a septic or municpal waste system.

So, I include the term "EPA" in my search criteria, as they usually have the final word on any such thing. Each of their references to automotive antifreeze are very ambiguous, stating "many sewage treatment agencies discourage or forbid wate antifreeze disposal into sanitary sewers." When I see an official entity like the EPA use words like "many" rather than "all", and include "discourage" rather than simply "forbid", I know that the jury is still out on this.
I would assume there is some kind of waste treatment interference rather than an environmental concern with municipal sewers/drains regarding antifreeze. For a single septic tank I can't see it being an issue unless you routinely dump many gallons a day. The guidance could also be aimed at transportation service centers rather than individual use of antifreeze.

I've got a few, a benefit of my family living in the same neighborhood for more than 300 years, things get passed down. The bow saws were stolen years ago, but I still have one very large one-man crosscut, as well as a two-man job. Never had a second man with enough coordination or timing to make the two-man work well, tho. ;lol
That’s actually really cool that you have that much history in the area. Do you live in one of the houses that they used to live in? Or are they long gone by now?

Pouring antifreeze into the septic has the possibility of killing all of the bacteria in it that is used to break down the solid waste that goes into the system when you flush the toilet.
Apparently that is not true according to the 2001 study I linked, at least when talking about the gallon or two of EG or PG found in the coolant system of one passenger vehicle.

Apparently that is not true according to the 2001 study I linked, at least when talking about the gallon or two of EG or PG found in the coolant system of one passenger vehicle.
Hmm that’s actually very interesting. I’m still not going to do it because it just doesn’t sit right with me dumping toxic waste down the drain, especially when I have multiple spots near me to properly dispose of it at.

Reactions: Fred B. NJ
Yeah, I think you're right. But since our municipality forces us to put our gray water thru the septic, including laundry detergents and brine water softeners, I highly doubt there's any beneficial bacteria remaining which is going to be killed by a gallon of diluted ethylene glycol once every few years is going to somehow destroy.

That’s actually really cool that you have that much history in the area. Do you live in one of the houses that they used to live in? Or are they long gone by now?
I live in a similarly old house, but not one that has been handed down thru the family. The one which I actually had intended to live in, since being a child, actually just sold last summer. But for various reasons (primarily, marital tranquility) we chose not to exercise our option to buy it. The rest were sold off over the last 30 years, as the various grandparents, aunts and uncles, all passed on.

Hmm that’s actually very interesting. I’m still not going to do it because it just doesn’t sit right with me dumping toxic waste down the drain, especially when I have multiple spots near me to properly dispose of it at.
I'm coming around to the same thinking. If I can find a way to practically and easily recycle it, I'd rather do that. Will check our township site, as well as the site of the closest borough, to see what options they have. If I have to continue dumping it down the drain, I'm not terribly worried about it, but always better safe than sorry. I have 4 water-cooled engines, so if I follow the every 6 years principle that most modern coolants run, we're looking at 1 - 2 gallons of coolant every 18 months on average.

Our town of Port McNeill population around 2,500 has a 500 gallon tank at the marine where you can dispose your used oil and also a container where you can also get ride of used oil filters .

Can't believe some pour it in the ground. I live in rural NJ and my town takes it at the local recycling center. Also most gas stations that still repair cars will take it where it's recycled.

I remember the days, decades ago, when it was time to drain and replace the antifreeze. Stick the nose of the car at the end of the driveway and open the petcock. Let the water run out to the storm sewer. But that was a long time ago, and when I lived in a town with sewers. Now it's well and septic. You don't want to contaminate your own water.
Let's think...well and septic, depending on your soil and what you put in your body you might be contaminating your own water.

not that it's right but we get it all over the log and some chips then we burn it. seems to me we are putting more pollution in the air than we think
Ever eat at a real pit barbecue restaurant. Think they cut that hickory with a hand saw?

Let's think...well and septic, depending on your soil and what you put in your body you might be contaminating your own water.
As you said, "depending on your soil". Around here, very little surface water makes it straight down to the aquafer, within the same property. My surface water, which also captures anything going into my septic drain field, is swept into a river down the hill from me, maybe 1/2 mile as the crow flies. We have nearly-impervious barrier of clay soil under a nice 10" layer of aerable top soil, and my well is drilled 150 feet deep in that, at a location a few hundred feet uphill of my septic.

Still best to avoid putting anything bad in your septic, some neighbor a mile away from me will get extremely diluted trace amounts of anything going into mine. Collectively, it's not good for the community. But to say you're contaminating "your own water" is nowhere near accurate. That's nearly impossible, given our local landscape, soils, and codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.