Distance from a house with a iwb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrcrash

Apr 17, 2012
MA
i am looking to move my vigas out of the basement and into an insulated shed. How far from the house do you think I would want the shed to be?

It totally depends on your local zoning and insurance company assessment of the system.

You need to tell us more.

You need at least a 30 amp circuit if your going to move the circulator(s) out there.
you should plan on a simple duplex or triplex outlet with a breaker to run the boiler by
turning off the breaker in the shed to disconnect the circuit from the home to prevent
back feeding to the panel box and then you can run the boiler with an extension cord
to run it if needed.

you may also need a properly constructed and insulated(below grade) slab of concrete to
anchor the shed to and insulate the slab.

Your local codes may require a foundation with footers too if slab on grade construction is not
allowed in your local codes.

You have to run insulated PEX(the expensive stuff), wiring in conduit, perhaps a second pex line
for your domestic hot water, You may not need the insulated PEX if they will let you build a lean
to and attach it to your home/garage.

I would see if your zoning allows you to build an insulated lean too shed that you can build on to
your house or garage as you probably want to keep your wood dry too.

The other issue is chimney height and you need to be able to clear the nearest obstruction/roof peak with a chimney and cap. If you move it outdoors you will have to build a new chimney or have a guy wired chimney stack to reach the proper height to clear any obstruction to have adequate draft and reduce any potential for down drafts to a minimum as wind turbulence can and will wreak havoc on a stone or metal chimney without a cap.

If you place it next to the home you can anchor the chimney to the home with the proper connections/straps also and you just have to clear the roof peak with a chimney extension and cap.

Last edited:
look at frost protected shallow foundations, they are in the IBC and every jurisdiction I have seen allows them, saves a bunch for excavating, peel grass off, build your raised center with sand (for us sand is as easy as taking a loader tractor and getting it), put insulation down and form the outside with foam supported by boards, then backfill around it.
you could not pay me enough to put a wood fired anything in my basement, and if I did, I would be single, shed is a nice place too to keep woodcutting stuff, and lawn stuff in the summer, seems like every time my wife parks our mower, it is in front of the tractor or equipment I need.

Most insurance company's want it at least 30 feet from and other building. Don't make any sense because they don't care if it's in the house, but that's the way it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.