DIY file handles-easy on the hands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
This is my solution to arthritis/joint pain while sharpening. Bigger handle and symetrically designed to fit my big paw.
I cut this out of blue beech as it has smooth tight bark that does't usually fall off even when dried. Cut it so that there was a swell (crotch) at the file end to keep my hand from slipping and the angled rear of the handle fits against the heal of my palm. The diameter is bigger so that I don't have to close my grip as far as a standard file handle. This sure makes it alot more comfy on the hands/joints to hand file. I've got 2 holes drilled in the end for round and flat files. 2nd best thing about this handle is it's FREE !

IMG_0219.jpg

boy that looks great i might have to try that, my hand gets all bound up when i grab thin stuff for a while also, ends up looking like a turkey claw.

Looks good. I use golf balls on my files and rasps and it works pretty well.

I got a round you can use.......;)

Reactions: MasterMech
I used to make them from a Y branch until I found a really good pistol-grip handle. I would reinforce the end by driving a plumbing brass compression nut onto it.

brass-compression-nut.gif

Speaking about pistol grip file handle... here's a video of a guy using a cordless drill.

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
I like that big handle. My hands start to get crampy after a few minutes with a file too. Youth is so wasted on the young!

I had my saw on the bench and all my store bought handles were busy. Also on the bench I had a tube of silicone caulk that has dried out and trying to salvage it, I cut the tube in half trying to save it. I stuck a file in the solid half tube of silicone and it's pretty comfy.

Lee, we used to even use corn cobs but they don't last as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.