DIY Hatchet sheath. (first attempt)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
So i have this hatchet that I keep in a tub in my 4x4...I decided to give it some love this afternoon and after i sharpened it to the point where i could shave the hair off my arm i realized I needed to protect the edge. After a quick scrounge through the shed I found some thick ridged plastic (used for garden bed edging) chopped off a length and headed inside to start work on my first sheath....

The hatchet

20131123_203802.jpg

20131123_203954.jpg

I heated up the plastic over the stove and folded it then ran it under cold water to hold the shape.....i then drilled out the slots....to finish off the slots i used a screw driver that i had heated over the stove to melt and form the shape....i did my best to chamfer the edge with a knife after it cooled...not knowing how the project would turn out I didn't spend too much time worrying about how good it looked..

20131123_222616.jpg

20131123_222611.jpg

I then threaded though this strap that had a buckle used for tightening the sheath...I wasn't happy with how secure it was so I drilled 3 holes and used cable ties to stitch it tight.....i will eventually swap the cable ties for some paracord..

20131123_223849.jpg

20131123_223935.jpg

20131123_223944.jpg

all wrapped up and secure....im stoked with the outcome...i feel confident in throwing it in a tub or in the back of the ute without destroying the fine edge!

20131123_224553.jpg

Finally a shot with my spyderco cali .....i love this knife!

20131123_225617.jpg

Well done, sir!

I've been trying to come up with something DIY for my splitting axe (alas, not a Fiskars with the sexy production sheath). You've inspired me to look around for some other materials.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Very nice job!

Cheers guys. i was originally going to just slice down a length of hose and slip that over the edge ;em but then i thought why not attempt a sheath...and decided on the thick plastic because it was going to be getting knocked around a fair bit....

I would like to make another one and also try a larger one for the axe too....

Cheers guys. i was originally going to just slice down a length of hose and slip that over the edge ;em but then i thought why not attempt a sheath...and decided on the thick plastic because it was going to be getting knocked around a fair bit....

I would like to make another one and also try a larger one for the axe too....

We used rubber hose for years on axes and chain saws. Sometimes we'd just tie the top and bottom with string. Sometimes we'd find rubber the right size. But in the long run we found leather to work the best. It's been a long time since I've made one but might do one sometime this winter just for kicks.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Essentially what you have there is Kydex and a great choice for sheaths. I use a hot plate like the one I make pancakes on and the best part is if you screw up you just reheat and re-form. Much more forgiving than leather work.

Essentially what you have there is Kydex and a great choice for sheaths. I use a hot plate like the one I make pancakes on and the best part is if you screw up you just reheat and re-form. Much more forgiving than leather work.

Just googled kydex and gave me some great ideas for my next one...i was talking to a mate about my atgempt and he suggested using rivets to hold it together.

I think i have just found a new hobby..

well if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I am not expert but I do forge a lot of knives and hawks that need sheaths so I have some experience. If you pursue the hobby google knife making supplies and there are tons of stuff available. Check prices because they can vary and sometime dirty ole Ebay is the way to go for kydex. The rivets and tool for attaching them is pretty cheap.

well if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I am not expert but I do forge a lot of knives and hawks that need sheaths so I have some experience. If you pursue the hobby google knife making supplies and there are tons of stuff available. Check prices because they can vary and sometime dirty ole Ebay is the way to go for kydex. The rivets and tool for attaching them is pretty cheap.

This is a can of worms and a whole other world!!....im really keen to try molding plastic to the shape of the hatchet...thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.