DIY Hearth Pad for Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yavne

Dec 23, 2019
Nova Scotia
Hello guys,

Looking to make hearth pad. I went over different instructions, I see most of them recommend to have three layers: 3/4 inch plywood, cement board and tiles.
I'm planning to place it on existing floor (laminate).
Wondering what is the advantage of having plywood?
Can I place cement board and tiles only?

Thank you!

You might want to cut out the laminate first and go down to the base layer, that way it won't stick up so much.

Reactions: Yavne
The plywood provides a good solid base if you only use cement board you are taking a chance of cracking the tiles, grout and cement board when you put the stove it, step on it or stack stuff on it.

You need to start by picking stove and reading its required clearance to combustibles.

If you build a hearth pad as proposed, you might find that it doesn't meet your new stove's required R-value. Then you get to either tear it up or get a different stove that requires ember protection only.

Reactions: Gearhead660
This is mine. I made a frame out of wood and used cement board and tile . What you can't see is I have two support pieces of wood under the middle of the cement board. It slides under my existing hearth over hang. I had all the material hanging around my basement. I step on it and put wood on it when loading all the time. 20191012_192230.jpg20191013_202339_001.jpg

This was mine. My stove required an R value (I don't remember the exact requirement. 1.2 maybe) I used 3/4" plywood followed by durock, micore 300, durock, then thinset and tile. This forum gave some great advice. I will say I failed to account for expansion on the perimeter and cracked my grout on the perimeter. I should have used a silicone caulk on the outside edge.

Attachments

• 20200124_183906.jpg
    20200124_183906.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,603
You need to start by picking stove and reading its required clearance to combustibles.

If you build a hearth pad as proposed, you might find that it doesn't meet your new stove's required R-value. Then you get to either tear it up or get a different stove that requires ember protection only.

Thanks, yep I chose one - drolet escape 1800. 54" should be enough for it.

Basically I need ember protection for this stove, but I wasn't able to find some nice looking ember protection. I thought to install metal sheet, but I understand it will be scratched in no time. If you have any recommendation will glad to hear it.

This is mine. I made a frame out of wood and used cement board and tile . What you can't see is I have two support pieces of wood under the middle of the cement board. It slides under my existing hearth over hang. I had all the material hanging around my basement. I step on it and put wood on it when loading all the time.View attachment 256789View attachment 256790
Very nice! I didn't consider to have wood for the frame... what kind of wood did you use? How it looks after using for a while?

This was mine. My stove required an R value (I don't remember the exact requirement. 1.2 maybe) I used 3/4" plywood followed by durock, micore 300, durock, then thinset and tile. This forum gave some great advice. I will say I failed to account for expansion on the perimeter and cracked my grout on the perimeter. I should have used a silicone caulk on the outside edge.

Looks really good! Expansion? Do you mean on the edge? Between the grout and food frame?
Maybe you have a picture...

Looks really good! Expansion? Do you mean on the edge? Between the grout and food frame?
Maybe you have a picture...

I used oak and it looks good in my opinion but it isn't very old yet. You are correct. I am talking about the grout between the tile and the wood trim. I don't have a picture on my phone but I can take one when I get home.

Basically I need ember protection for this stove, but I wasn't able to find some nice looking ember protection. I thought to install metal sheet, but I understand it will be scratched in no time. If you have any recommendation will glad to hear it.

Your original plan is fine for ember protection.

I would not omit the plywood unless the underlying floor is very flat and the cement board will be screwed into the floor. This is because cement board is rather flexible and any flex can break your grout and thinset. (Though I must admit this is advice I am giving without using it personally- I have a framed hearth pad that is just tile and cement board over 2x3 on 12" centers, and it has held up fine to years of daily loading, stove-sitting, and wood dumping. But it would definitely last longer with plywood underneath for rigidity.)

Either way, spend the few extra bucks on a polymer modified thinset,and it will do better.

I would also advise you to make it wide enough to hold a stove chair for loading and sitting by the stove, and deep enough that a lot rolling out won't be a problem. The stove chair lives on mine permanently, and gets a lot of action in the winter! :)

Your original plan is fine for ember protection.

I would not omit the plywood unless the underlying floor is very flat and the cement board will be screwed into the floor. This is because cement board is rather flexible and any flex can break your grout and thinset. (Though I must admit this is advice I am giving without using it personally- I have a framed hearth pad that is just tile and cement board over 2x3 on 12" centers, and it has held up fine to years of daily loading, stove-sitting, and wood dumping. But it would definitely last longer with plywood underneath for rigidity.)

Either way, spend the few extra bucks on a polymer modified thinset,and it will do better.

I would also advise you to make it wide enough to hold a stove chair for loading and sitting by the stove, and deep enough that a lot rolling out won't be a problem. The stove chair lives on mine permanently, and gets a lot of action in the winter! :)

put up a pic of your stove chair setup! I’m building my hearth pad next week and that sounds awesome!

I was set to to build a hearth pad I contacted the manufacturer found out I only needed ember protection. I used a piece of 14ga steel painted it has held up pretty well the last few months.
20200210_170820 (1).jpg

It's just a regular chair that didn't become a Stove Chair until I scooted it over by the stove. ;) To honor stove clearances, I should probably swap it out for a metal folding chair or something. :confused:

I guess I do have a picture on my phone, which was probably originally intended to be a picture of the brown dog.

Also pictured is my special custom hearth brush (aka $3 windshield scraper that got repurposed after the scraper broke).

Image3268334936292384812.jpg

This it tonight. Flipped up up to see the under side. I ripped 2x4 down for the frame then used ripped 1x4 to the height of the time after the tile fully set. Been getting used every day since mid fall. It's pretty heavy. Hasn't moved at all other than me lifting it up tonight.
20200210_203805.jpg20200210_204135.jpg

@Yavne what did you decide? Are you happy with your choice? we are in the same boat, looking for ember protection only, for a Vermont Castings Dauntless, which we will have in a corner...