DIY mini split systems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I had always thought of mini splits as being way out of my reach because of the fact that a pro had to vacuum/charge them. Now apparently there are more than a few manufacturers offering DIY systems that are pre-charged, you just install the inside and outside units and carefully run the lines, connecting them with a special quick connect that keeps the refrigerant in and air out. Frederich is one of them:

http://www.friedrich.com/products/residential/window/breeze/features

I watched an install video online-looks to be about as simple as it gets-you just have to be really careful about not kinking the lines The only thing I don't like is that they are not made to be hardwired (the smaller units do run on 110V), so there will be an unsightly plug on the wall, but that's a minor thing. These seem like they'd be a perfect solution to our planned master suite addition (currently an attached garage). The small unit can be had on Amazon for $1800-MUCH less than extending my existing ductwork to the garage and upsizing it to accommodate a 3 ton AC unit to handle the extra square footage (oil/wood furnace would be plenty big enough). Any hearth.com'ers install one of these units?

i wire them a lot. not the friedrich units but all the rest. most of them come precharged but i don't see how to get around a good vac. you could do the install and hire a guy to vac it down, also most of them out there have a limit to how far they can be between the evap and the condenser. if you have to go more it can be charged up a little usually like a pound of 410a. the friedrich that you show is not the most efficient one out there but if it is built like their thru the wall units it should last a very long time.

I and installed this unit 2 yrs ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9000-BTU-Du...Energy-Star-/221436423626?hash=item338ea3adca
It worked great. Super quiet and nice, cool gentle breeze on low. I had to extend the line 25' and the unit needed to be vac'd and charged. The guy who did it swore at the Chinese make but everything was OK - for 2 yrs, then the unit stopped. An error code said there was moisture in the lines or a leak and I have not had it fixed yet.

i wire them a lot. not the friedrich units but all the rest. most of them come precharged but i don't see how to get around a good vac. you could do the install and hire a guy to vac it down, also most of them out there have a limit to how far they can be between the evap and the condenser. if you have to go more it can be charged up a little usually like a pound of 410a. the friedrich that you show is not the most efficient one out there but if it is built like their thru the wall units it should last a very long time.

As far as the literature says you just connect the lines via their special connector and go-no HVAC pro or special tools needed. It comes with 25' lines which is way more than I need-you just coil the excess line behind the compressor.

I and installed this unit 2 yrs ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9000-BTU-Du...Energy-Star-/221436423626?hash=item338ea3adca
It worked great. Super quiet and nice, cool gentle breeze on low. I had to extend the line 25' and the unit needed to be vac'd and charged. The guy who did it swore at the Chinese make but everything was OK - for 2 yrs, then the unit stopped. An error code said there was moisture in the lines or a leak and I have not had it fixed yet.

I've seen the Chinese ones and am avoiding them for that reason. Fredrich is the only big name manufacturer I've seen that does a DIY unit so far. There is another company out of Quebec called Caribou AC that does them but I haven't been able to find much about reliability. My neighbor has a 230V through the wall Fredrich that cools his entire house (it's not that large) and is probably 25+ years old, so as long as their quality hasn't gone seriously downhill in recent years I'd be comfortable investing $1800 in one of their units.

Status
Not open for further replies.