HVAC dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Newest wrinkle, and I’m debating even bringing to the the contractor’s attention, is the only ( that down need to run 25’ of rectangular metal duct hanging down and is. It a bedroom) location to add a basement air return is 6-8’ from the basement fireplace and insert…….. just occurred to me today. Sucking big cold air off the basement floor seems like a win year round to me. Wonder if contractor will even notice.

Well work started today. Load calc came in at 4 tons. We are just able to squeeze an air return downstairs at exactly 10’ from the fireplace (depending on where you measure.

I have up on ducting the HPWH into the hvac system. It’s just too complicated. My water heater didn’t list a total static pressure drop that was allowed.

Whole house dehumidifier will go in with a dedicated return. Not sure yet how it’s going to get connected. But it should get tied in to the supply with a back draft damper.

It’s a big job. Freeze warning up for tonight. Figures. At least we have the wood stoves. All in all it is going to back just the way it was installed. Just adding two runs.

It would have been a train wreck if I was uniformed. They showed up four weeks ago no load calc no returns in the plans. At least I was home and they didn’t get the saws out before we decided to we would stop and and make a better plan.

At least I feel like I’m getting an upgrade. But it’s not coming cheap.

that type of experience makes it really hard for me to hire someone to come do work at my house.

Reactions: johneh and fbelec
that type of experience makes it really hard for me to hire someone to come do work at my house.
It was not lack of talent/craftsmanship but a lack of organization and businessship. Oversights were acknowledged and corrected.

But yeah that’s about how most things have gone for me.

It’s an involved remodel job. Upsized ductwork for new load calc. Add a new basement return 10’ from the wood stove, from a crawl space but there are no good locations that the install will be possible. Add a dedicated return for the whole house dehumidifier.

Just got off the phone. Most of the wall boots in the crawl space are falling apart. So they will be cutting new floor vents.

I can’t do this job. sooo… just make friends, be helpful but not pushy keep asking questions. Anything I can do to make the job easier. Run a broom or vacuum when they take a break. Make sure my junk is out of the way.

i do electrical jobs and work with a few plumbers and air conditioning guys and what your doing is very helpful thanks

Quick update. Today is day 8 of work on my ductwork. They won’t finish today. Even brought in a second two person crew today. They doing great work just not working fast. They forgot to order ducting kit for the dehumidifier. So that won’t get done for a bit longer. The project manager is checking in daily as he drops off more sheet metal he’s fabricated. He won’t let them cut any corners.

I knew it was a big job but I didn’t think 9 days. I thought 4-5.

I hope it was a contracted job, and not hourly :)
But better slow and well-done, than quick and cutting corners.

Hope the family can get some rest from the "strange people working around" all day, in a few days.

I hope it was a contracted job, and not hourly :)
But better slow and well-done, than quick and cutting corners.

Hope the family can get some rest from the "strange people working around" all day, in a few days.
It’s a good crew. I make a point to chit chat when appropriate. Be friendly. Luckily all the work is in the basement and craw space. Kids all sleep in the same room upstairs out of choice. So it hasn’t been too bad.

The boss/owner does all the bids and scheduling but doesn’t seem to be that organized. Probably stretched too far.

After living through a 4 month’s long renovation at the beginning of 2020 a few days isn’t too bad but my wife’s feelings are different.

Reactions: stoveliker
chit chat, daily drinks, and a home-baked piece of cake or something, and all will work out well in my experience :)

Dehumidifier was commissioned today. I don’t think the backdraft dampers are operating correctly. I measured 1.3” WC at the condensation drain pipe end. Yes it was blowing out with 1.3” of pressure. Every seam on the unit and duct work was leaking air.

If this is running to spec I’d be shocked. Shocked how badly the unit is sealed. It was moving some air as I was getting about 20 oz of condensate an hour. 70degrees 65%RH.

There is no way an average homeowner could navigate this. I had to walk the installer through set up. Troubleshoot with him and then crawl in the the house dow to the unit to find he hooked up the to the wrong terminal. I felt bad he’s a big guy and the 5th trip up the stairs he was out of breath. Mind you he was told that all the setup had been done and all he had to do was connect the ducts. Parts were missing. A 30 minutes job was 3 hours. He worked in my house for 9 days he competent. Just not prepared. I chose a different dehumidifier than they usually use.

And I still don’t have a working dehumidifier. Maybes Tomorrow is the day. (Well not for my framer. His partner fell off the scaffold last week so he’s working alone and a week behind. And not for Windows as my window contractor has been in touch with me for a week. He’s had the windows for 8 weeks and the job was going to be done 4 weeks ago….)

Well somebody taped the damper closed. Easy enough fix. Humidity is dropping like a rock.

529260CE-4FA3-4205-881C-FBC4EF53A5B7.png

The tape was there to keep the palmetto bugs out!
They love the firewood stacks! When disassembling ducts we found a couple mummified Carolina anoles and a good sized skink.

Glad it was an easy fix! Do you have some pictures of how the dehumidifier is plumbed in?

Glad it was an easy fix! Do you have some pictures of how the dehumidifier is plumbed in?

I will make a scratch today. But in short. House has 3 returns. One 20x30 then further away from blower two 14x20. The dehumidifier return shares/ties into the the hvac return near the 14x20 and connects to the the main hvac supply. Not sure if they installed any back draft damper in the main supply. I do t think they did but they did install one I the dehumidifier supply.

Reactions: vbu
Eons ago ( 1960) built a house everything was listed in detail. i did the plans and all that, every contractor or sub was given specific lists of material for their portion , with notes on what may also affect their work . i also walked each one around. still there were screw ups - like the plumber installed galvanized pipe instead of copper ( plastic wasn't available back then) cought him 1/4 way done- wasn't happy to have to remove it all and start over on his dime.
Currently I have a home built 90/91 ( market purchase)-none of the duck work is insulated-go figure . This home is built with 6" walls , Pella casment windows double pane- but these were in the time period that Pella had a problem with seals- Warranty on windows was expired when I bought it ,as it was summmer I didn't see the collasped pane syndrome until that winter- so correcting that was on my dime. Most of the build was done correctly- still finding few short cuts here and there. crazy thing, hot water heater is still the original one. Its efficiency is lacking at this point though ( it's only 32 years old) hate to replace it as new stuff barely makes it to end of warranty (6 yrs)and are pricey. * there are 12 year ones- for more money but I fail to see any spec changes- kinda like buying and extended warranty plan.