Diy Storage Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes8500

Jul 2, 2008
Long Island, NY (Nassau)
I've got pleny of concrete block laying around, I was wondering if there were any pitfalls to using concrete block & mortar to make a 4' high wall butted up against the basement wall that I could then throw some insulation and a liner and use for hot water storage. I'd do rebar in every other core, and drill, grout it to the basment floor and fill the core solid with concrete. Figure I'd need 9'x30"x4' high to get approx 800gal

Mike

Dunno. I'm waiting for some success stories from other folks doing similar things. I'm a bit concerned about the force of the water pressure trying to pull it away from the existing wall. At the bottom, it's 2 pounds for every square inch. The pressure in the middle of the 9' section worries me a bit.

mikes8500 - That is the way I am building mine. It will be 4.5'x12'x4' to give me just over 1000 gal. once insulation etc. is subtracted. I am in the process of building it now, check out the link in my signature for updates and images. With threaded rod coming out of the walls into the block joint and vertical rebar out of the floor in the first hole I am fairly confident it won't pull away from the wall over time. I hope to be finished in the next couple of weeks, but success will probably need to be measured over a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.