DIY stove install - guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KingstonRocks

Aug 25, 2022
Kingston, MA
Hi Guys,

Been reading a ton but figured I’d do a post here for some thoughts on some things , I have an older colonial home that is need of some help heating. I’ve always wanted a wood stove and have a large old masonry fireplace that we never used. Planning on buying a pre insulated chimney liner and got a stove from a friend. The stove is a 1988 Vermont Castings resolute acclaim, pictures attached. Any thoughts on maintenance of this older stove ? Is it something where I won’t know until I fire it up? I got it for $100 so if I have to put money into it , I should be fine. Let me know. I also plan on buying a hearth extension pad and this liner and doing the install myself , my roof is pretty manageable. Any tips/ thoughts / or guidance would be super cool, going to buy the liner tomorrow!

Thinking of going with this kit:

And this hearth pad in front :

E59815A3-FB52-4151-AB2A-92ED4AD51756.jpeg B5750B4E-CD20-42E9-B972-780C64239612.jpeg 0B823AC0-30D5-4A88-AB97-9602117E0A6A.jpeg DA12EAD0-7829-41BF-AB43-AF5D6236E620.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Been reading a ton but figured I’d do a post here for some thoughts on some things , I have an older colonial home that is need of some help heating. I’ve always wanted a wood stove and have a large old masonry fireplace that we never used. Planning on buying a pre insulated chimney liner and got a stove from a friend. The stove is a 1988 Vermont Castings resolute acclaim, pictures attached. Any thoughts on maintenance of this older stove ? Is it something where I won’t know until I fire it up? I got it for $100 so if I have to put money into it , I should be fine. Let me know. I also plan on buying a hearth extension pad and this liner and doing the install myself , my roof is pretty manageable. Any tips/ thoughts / or guidance would be super cool, going to buy the liner tomorrow!

Thinking of going with this kit:

And this hearth pad in front :

View attachment 298814 View attachment 298815 View attachment 298816 View attachment 298817
Chances are the stove is going to need a complete interior rebuild.

For what reason ?
The fireback is burnt and distorted it needs replaced. It it looks like that I am sure everything behind it is shot as well.

Are those parts accessible? Also what would it cause when firing the stove?
Yes they should be available. They also aren't cheap. Depending upon how bad it is it could cause control issues and definitely lack of secondary combustion.

The stoves purpose really is just to take the edge off., in my living room,
Not really looking to heat the whole house.
Ok but it should still be in good working order

If I take the stove apart and clean it , how will I know everything is broken and needs replacing ?
Post pics here if there are any questions but it will be pretty obvious