Do I need the face plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UMassMan

Jun 20, 2013
Clifton, VA
Greetings,

I recently purchased a use Appalachian Stoves 30CD. I had it installed along with a new liner and cap in my chimney. My fireplace is a bit larger than the stove - even with the face plate. Since the face plate was too small - I removed it. Outside of aesthetics, what value/utility does it provide? I have porvided a picture of the stove with measurements.

Please share your thoughts comments.

Thanks!

insert.JPG

Do you have a block off plate installed?

Welcome to the forums !!

Reactions: PapaDave
The surround can be left off. Is the insert installed with a full liner (to the top of the chimney) and is that a stainless elbow coming off the flue collar?

Well, you need a bigger faceplate, search for that... Gl

I would look tons better if you just got the bigger panels. See if you have any local dealers that might be able to fix you up with the parts that you need.

begreen - The stove does have a stainless elbow, complete liner with cap at the top. I am not having much success finding a faceplate to fit my stove with the large fireplace opening. After removing the pieces of the existing faceplate, I really do not see much funciton behind it besides a physical barrier to hide the fireplace. Am I missing something?

begreen - The stove does have a stainless elbow, complete liner with cap at the top. I am not having much success finding a faceplate to fit my stove with the large fireplace opening. After removing the pieces of the existing faceplate, I really do not see much funciton behind it besides a physical barrier to hide the fireplace. Am I missing something?

No, I don't think so. IMHO the faceplate is indeed more for aesthetics than actual function. However, one thing to consider: Is the back of the fireplace going to another room or the outside? Some people here noticed an improvement with heat output when putting Roxul around the walls of the fireplace when having a fireplace that has exterior walls. But that may really not look good without the faceplate.
Another point: To reduce heat loss up the chimney did you install a block-off plate? It will greatly reduce the amount of warm air going up the chimney. Here is a great article how to make one: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

Sounds good. The main thing the surround is doing is cosmetic in this case. You could have a sheet metal shop cut you up an extension piece and paint it black to match the existing surround. Have them hem the edges if you do. Or leave it off.

Has the insert itself been refurbed? New Cats put in it? New gaskets on the door? Not seen to many of those models but that one could be 10 years old or older, hard to tell with Appalachians due to them keeping the same design.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Appalachian now has a parts store on their website http://www.appalachianstove.com/wood-replacement-parts.php

Mellow - I am in the process of evaluating the conditions of the cats right now. The damper arm for the cats was removed. I plan to open up the cats and give them a look next week. I know at a minimum I need a new damper handle and damper rod. What I am unclear on is how do I evaluate the condition of the cats? Advice in this area is welcomed.

Does someone out there recommend a particular website or vendor for Appalachian Stove parts? I read much of the feedback on Appalachian and rapidly discovered customer service is not something they specialize in.

Vendor suggestions are welcomed!

I would just replace the cats so you know you are starting with new and they will work as intended. I have had good success with working with servicesales.com.

I have not used Appalachians online ordering site yet so I can't comment how it will be, but in the past they are slow to get parts from in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.