Do I pay someone to get ahead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
right now I have around 3 cord css. I have between 2-3 cord that needs to be cut down so that it can be split and will fit in the stove. I have been trying to consolidate as much as I can, so when i get around to cutting it up, it will be easy to blow through. Of course I tried to get through some of it last week, but the saw wouldn't start. I have had a few friends say that they want to come over and help (and or owe me a favor or 5) but coordinating never really seems to happen.

In 2 weeks, I will be taking down a lot more trees, and that will be cut down to a good length to split. That will be for next years wood anyway, so I can gradually work on that stuff.

I saw an ad the other day (http://denver.craigslist.org/bar/5774242092.html) for a family that will come out and cut, split, stack, etc, and I was thinking it might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to have them come out (2 chainsaws, 2 splitters, 2 stackers) and get me through this stuff that I cannot seem to get processed. I like that it is a family affair, and many hands make light work.

Do you think it is worth it to have someone do this? I am leaning towards yes, since it will help me on my mission to be able to get a good path forward (although this also means stopping scrounging for a little bit so I can keep on top of it all!)

EDIT: "update: the family was not hired due to fear of liability issues, and with a little bit of time well spent, I was able to get to a point where I feel comfortable."

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you get ahead "the old-fashioned way, you earn it." Just pulling your leg. ;) I would say if you can have yourself set for dry wood for the upcoming winter, just plug away as you get time (and a working saw.) With the dead Pine you have there, I wouldn't think you would be under the gun to get wood dry in time for upcoming seasons. Maybe you need to sweeten the pot to get your buddies to show up...pizza and Coors? ;lol

if wood was my only project, it would be easier to convince myself that I didn't really need to hire anyone.....

and you can't burn pine in a wood stove, you end up getting eaten by zombie kittens right?

Reactions: Dix
and you can't burn pine in a wood stove, you end up getting eaten by zombie kittens right?
Well, yeah, there is that... ;lol I know time constraints can be a problem. Fortunately for me, I have no life. ;lol Still, it's work keeping up when I'm supplying 2 SILs, and helping a third SIL/BIL. <>

To me, it's worth it.

My firewood is usually purchased split, and ready to S/S. I've got 2+ years ready. If I could have some help, I could blow through processing my scrounges, too big,s, etc and be 4+ years ahead. I'd pay a couple of hundred for that in a heart beat.

it just kills me that i don't have time to do it... i have a perfectly good splitter. I am perfectly capable to do it.... its just time. I called them to see if they will come out and see what they say....

it just kills me that i don't have time to do it... i have a perfectly good splitter. I am perfectly capable to do it.... its just time. I called them to see if they will come out and see what they say....

Same for me, plus some are to big to move by myself or need "bigger than mine" chain saw attention. That kinda stuff.

I also have 4 8' bed truck loads of white pine cut into 16 - 18" rounds & single stacked for 1 year that was free. I'd love to blow through it (because there is more where that came from ;) !! ), and get it stacked and top covered.

Even if I paid some one for a day, it would be worth it to me.

Not worth the risk. I expect they don't have insurance and one kid gets hurt and its time to call the insurance company and end up with claims on your policy which will probably raise your rates, if covered.

Just set aside one lousy day and spank it all out. No excuses or other chores to help you procrastinate, big boy pants.

Reactions: excessads
Not worth the risk. I expect they don't have insurance and one kid gets hurt and its time to call the insurance company and end up with claims on your policy which will probably raise your rates, if covered.
A bit of what I was thinking ... on their property is one thing; on yours it could be a nightmare.

Reactions: excessads
Just set aside one lousy day and spank it all out. No excuses or other chores to help you procrastinate, big boy pants.
I wish it was that easy. I am going on basically two years straight without a major weekend project or being out of town. I also enjoy spending time with my family, so blocking out a whole day on a weekend gets to be tough.

Pile 1 & 2
20160929_165320.jpg
Pile 3
20160929_165309.jpg
And piles 4&5 are farther away.

Attachments

• 20160929_165320.jpg
    20160929_165320.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah, and I guess once winter sets in, wood processing will come to a screeching halt.

Does it have to?
It doesn't for me, here, but we get a lot of days warm enough where I can still go out and work without having to come in and warm up often (above freezing if I am active, no wind.) Average high in Jan. is 42. Also, I can usually wait a few days and any snow that has fallen will have melted. I would be tough for me to go out there, where either of you guys live...I'm too cold-blooded! <> I lived in WI for 30 yrs....I know what I can handle without fingers and toes falling off. :oops: I might be able to get my BIL to come out and help me run the splitter, but any of my SILs, forget it, their gonna stay inside, close to their wood stoves. ==c

Last edited:
Processing wood is one of those jobs that I just plain enjoy doing . . . in fact I find it therapeutic, so I would very reluctantly pay someone to do this. I think I would also find myself wondering if they bucked up the wood to the right length, if they split the wood too small or too large, if they stacked the wood correctly, etc.

I've been busy before as well . . . but I find that sometimes just plugging away by working away at it an hour or so at a time works out.

I find that splitting wood in below freezing weather can really speed things up especially if the wood is green.

No, you get ahead "the old-fashioned way, you earn it." Just pulling your leg. ;) I would say if you can have yourself set for dry wood for the upcoming winter, just plug away as you get time (and a working saw.) With the dead Pine you have there, I wouldn't think you would be under the gun to get wood dry in time for upcoming seasons. Maybe you need to sweeten the pot to get your buddies to show up...pizza and Coors? ;lol

That is also know as Canadian currency......

I don't mind processing in the winter, I just am really sick of having ugly piles all over the place. Maybe I just take the money I was going to pay them, and buy a new saw... Then pay some kids a few bucks to lug the wood around.... The other problem is I can't drive the wood around back until I move the wood so I can get through!

I wish it was that easy. I am going on basically two years straight without a major weekend project or being out of town. I also enjoy spending time with my family, so blocking out a whole day on a weekend gets to be tough.

This is total procrastination talk here. Excuses for sure. So you have nothing to do but want to spend time doing something other than wood?

I also enjoy spending time with the dog, wife, and two young daughters. They learn from my actions of getting things done. There is plenty of time spent with them as well. Teach those children a good worth ethic.

Once you're a few years ahead then you only need to process the next year's wood. It's easier this way but it will never be easy.

Here's my current stack. I only had to process the 4 cords in the middle of these 12 in between work duties, family time, yard time, farm time, etc. There will always be something else to do.

Attachments

• woodpile2016.JPG
    woodpile2016.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: Jay106n
That said, wood heat is still (usually) financially beneficial even when you have to buy all of your wood fully cut, split, and stacked. You're just hiring help to do the work. That's another lesson you'll be teaching your children. Some folks hire out lawn mowing, they hire nannies to be the mother, buy precooked food all the time, etc.

I would rather see you buy processed wood than abandon wood heat.

Have you thought about switching to a pellet stove?

This is total procrastination talk here. Excuses for sure. So you have nothing to do but want to spend time doing something other than wood?

I also enjoy spending time with the dog, wife, and two young daughters. They learn from my actions of getting things done. There is plenty of time spent with them as well. Teach those children a good worth ethic.

Once you're a few years ahead then you only need to process the next year's wood. It's easier this way but it will never be easy.

Here's my current stack. I only had to process the 4 cords in the middle of these 12 in between work duties, family time, yard time, farm time, etc. There will always be something else to do.

I still have plenty to do, that isn't the problem. If i didn't, this wouldn't be an issue. This is from a few months ago, and a lot of it has been completed, but there is now another sheet!

sY8qnOds7epbAkt8cH8-hHaGwLB2F7SU5Jd4J9q-2ALQOawE0fijsfzwxO2khZvSshDxV1w75lwht93Tv1g=w472-h838-no.jpg

we just put this stove in last year, so we are not going to a pellet stove! We bought a fixer-upper and over the last two years i have basically gut it and redone the entire thing while having a 3 year old and a newborn. The projects were prioritized in order of safety hazard, long term effect (grading, drainage, wood rot, etc), then comfort/detail (trim, fans, lights, etc) so the wood processing became the "when i get to it" or "i'll do that next time I have a free hour or so" but as projects go, they seemed to get pushed off a little. My kids definitely have picked up my work ethic and know what it means to something yourself. The other day, my son said "papa, I'm doing a project" and then continued stacking wood under his play slide.

C8D7gXuTqjnmokHwPXAU5bTDrmLrPxGGWIvWlAkwqjvPXhdDw65c8GIC_7FoiKEV5P5SD16jT-2BeArLE6A=w472-h838-no.jpg

I don't hire many things out, especially for things that I am capable of doing, and of course, I set a good example for using ppe.
-gV9C9y4BMgnRjW0xLKtrARD6gZ1QnPTux2sl1uqKzNj2HlNF6kSO0CYR0RATqTK2qicFCPjiDDvkW-Y3AA=w472-h838-no.jpg

Don't hire some family of hillbillies that are uninsured to use dangerous equipment on your property. That is a lawyers dream come true and an invitation for you to lose everything you have.

I was in the same situation last year. I bought 10 face cords to get ahead. Now, I'm sitting pretty. :)

Reactions: iceman2424

I still have plenty to do, that isn't the problem. If i didn't, this wouldn't be an issue. This is from a few months ago, and a lot of it has been completed, but there is now another sheet!

Something doesn't add up. Maybe you meant to write this differently? I have an old run down house too and the list is only now getting smaller. First year that I'm three ahead.

Don't hire some family of hillbillies that are uninsured to use dangerous equipment on your property. That is a lawyers dream come true and an invitation for you to lose everything you have.

I was in the same situation last year. I bought 10 face cords to get ahead. Now, I'm sitting pretty. :)

when you put it that way...

I decided against it, mainly because of the safety. Having been through a chainsaw accident myself, I know that even with PPE, things can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.