Do I pay someone to get ahead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something doesn't add up. Maybe you meant to write this differently? I have an old run down house too and the list is only now getting smaller. First year that I'm three ahead.

i haven't had a free day in 2 years. The list is getting smaller as the major projects get knocked off, but it has been a long two years.

Reactions: Highbeam
Do it yourself with a friend or two. I understand your feeling working and always busy, but there is always a project to be done. We all work, I had to take time off from work to get my growing to do list shrunken down a bit. If you really can't find the time to get it processed, then maybe wood heat isn't for you and you need to find an alternative. With that said, you have a good amount stashed up and hopefully you can get it done.

Do it yourself with a friend or two. I understand your feeling working and always busy, but there is always a project to be done. We all work, I had to take time off from work to get my growing to do list shrunken down a bit. If you really can't find the time to get it processed, then maybe wood heat isn't for you and you need to find an alternative. With that said, you have a good amount stashed up and hopefully you can get it done.

i love doing it, I just think i was trying to get ahead of it and bit off more than I could chew. I ended up scrounging and had a lot of stuff that was just long enough that it didn't fit, and I have been picking through the easy stuff to stack and split. Now that i have some wood for the winter, i am being a lot more selective about what sort of stuff I get dumped in the yard... but if i don't get it cleaned up before winter, this stuff will be in the way of my sledding hill :)

Do it yourself with a friend or two
Yeah, if you could ever roust out those buddies of yours, you could do some serious damage in a short amount of time. And don't sell the boy short...looks like he is ready to go. ==c

i did just get him this for his birthday next week:
41ok71LOmlL.jpg

i did just get him this for his birthday next week:
View attachment 184768
When I first started seriously burning a few years ago, I had access to wood and a truck. Times change though. I ended up buying wood, delivered and stacked to get ahead three years. Best decision for me. This winter I will be burning three year split/stacked red oak and locust along with a little maple and ash. Now I can add via scrounge as needed. Every situation is different.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Well I left work a little early and decided I was going to get a new saw if mine didn't start. Sure enough, first pull and it fired up.

I got through a little less than half, so I'm glad I didn't pay someone!
20160930_171008.jpg
20160930_171018.jpg
And I scored these on the way home
20160929_165301.jpg

I still have plenty to do, that isn't the problem. If i didn't, this wouldn't be an issue.

Don't feel like you need to defend yourself. For those of us, like you, who have or have had a fixer-upper house and yard, a wife and little kids, the full-time job, we should know enough to be encouraging you just to keep doing your best, not shaming you as though you aren't doing enough.

Can you knock through this pile if you make it a priority? Of course (and started today). Should you? None of us know, that's up to you and your wife, and however you prioritize your time is correct by my definition. Provide clothes, food, water, housing. Love your kids and wife and provide them security. Job done. At least to get you through these tough years. The rest will fall into place as long as you stay motivated. You probably won't remember on your deathbed whether you hired some temp help for firewood, but you'll remember giving yourself an occasional weekend to wrestle with that little guy. At least I do. You won't regret it.

Edit: I'm not on my deathbed, if that was unclear. No sympathy needed. :)

Yeah! Now you're talkin! Good job!

I just moved another 1/2 cord up from the back that's been there since last fall. I have another cord still down there that needs to be split, but now that I've gotten through the big stuff that was in the way of the access I can drive down there and split in the driveway. I did split a few rounds and they were measuring 18%. Some of the stuff I cut today was around that too. I might actually be further ahead than I thought!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Looks like a little motivation goes a long way!:) I wasn't putting you down in my prior post above, just being realistic. It is a lot of time and work, but it looks like you got it down my man.

18% on fresh splits is good as gold.

I just moved another 1/2 cord up from the back that's been there since last fall. I have another cord still down there that needs to be split, but now that I've gotten through the big stuff that was in the way of the access I can drive down there and split in the driveway. I did split a few rounds and they were measuring 18%. Some of the stuff I cut today was around that too. I might actually be further ahead than I thought!

We had some wood delivered last year and someone dropped off a wood scrounge to us before the wood was delivered. The guys that delivered the wood offered to split it for us for $80.00. We said sure. It was the best thing for us because, we were able to get the wood stacked and out of the way.. We also have a bit of a fixer-upper so that was great for me in that I have 5 kids and the never ending to do list.
That being said, if getting the wood processed will help you out...I say do it but ask one important question first. I asked the guys delivering my wood "if they had insurance because in this day and age, you cannot be too careful." The owner was delivering, and got me a copy from his truck. If the people in the ad are serious about the business, they will provide it for you. Ask them for a couple of references also. If they don't provide either, it is not worth the risk, as others have already mentioned. Just a thought...

Well. I was sick of being at work, and the saw was cooperative! If the saw didn't start, that would have been a different story.

The wife has a terrible cold and was out for the count, the kids fell asleep early, and I needed something to do tonight, so I got out the work light to start lugging. 1475297587927593770857.jpg
I really need a better way to get up my back yard.... Like steps. I've been saying all summer I should cut some. I think it was around 20 trips.

We had some wood delivered last year and someone dropped off a wood scrounge to us before the wood was delivered. The guys that delivered the wood offered to split it for us for $80.00. We said sure. It was the best thing for us because, we were able to get the wood stacked and out of the way.. We also have a bit of a fixer-upper so that was great for me in that I have 5 kids and the never ending to do list.
That being said, if getting the wood processed will help you out...I say do it but ask one important question first. I asked the guys delivering my wood "if they had insurance because in this day and age, you cannot be too careful." The owner was delivering, and got me a copy from his truck. If the people in the ad are serious about the business, they will provide it for you. Ask them for a couple of references also. If they don't provide either, it is not worth the risk, as others have already mentioned. Just a thought...
They had no insurance. It wasn't worth the risk.

Bishbro,

I totally feel ya before, during, after.

We had a scenario of a live-in remodeling project, 6 kids, both of us working and active in the church,
gone 10-12hrs workdays, running teenagers all over the place, etc. During the remodel we bought
the stove we thought was oh, so great. (sucked, but now rocks) With no time to process and get ahead
on wood I literally did one minute increments at times. Going out to the car I'd bust up a round and drop
the 5-8 splits on the stack and then run my errand. It was the dead of winter and this potbelly was getting installed
in three weeks. Go outside for a smoke and chainsaw a log scrounged and towed home the previous day.
By being relentless at it we stayed ahead weeks to days ahead until the weather broke. I never stopped and never
waste more than a half hour on it (now that I'm off 4 months) and the stack is a monster for the 8 months I've
been at it yet with no real investment in time. My key to no yard mess is processing immediately whatever
comes home and be done with it. (currently there's a 4x8 pallet of rounds due to the rotator surgery)
Your case is only different by having the wood already on site. That even cuts down scrounge time.
You are on excellent track! In both of our cases just keep taking bites instead
of feeling overwhelmed at the total size of the getting way ahead project. Keep snackin' and stackin'.
Works for me too. We're getting it done. Seeing you flip flop your thinking is inspiring to many. Me
for sure.

Chop on Wayne, Chop on Garth,

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeap

So the wife was home with strep, as was the nanny, so i took the day off from work to watch the kids... during nap time, i could not sit idle, so there I went!

This is more of the locust that gets to get added to the pile.
20161004_114458.jpg
This is the second half of the russian olive and elm that I split (i had to move part of the pile, so i could get around it safely!
20161004_114512.jpg
As you can see, I still have the pile of russian olive behind the boat, and i still have the stuff that I bucked up the other day to split, but I made some pretty good headway. We are supposed to get 6 inches of snow tonight, so maybe I will actually have a fire.

oh, and some of my elm looks like this....
20161001_100417.jpg
That's not bad huh? I'm pretty sure that was a piece from a tree that came down in april of 2016..... its a good thing it was hot this summer!

Reactions: Jay106n
DoBish, Did 6 rounds today!!

I wuz re reading this thread all the way through and my problem wasn't the break in working
on the wood that got me behind. After the shoulder repair I kept scrounging with my good arm
but couldn't swing an axe.
Now I can and am starting slow and easy into the dead and dry easies.
Time to lose the mini stacks clogging up the joint.

We're both on the scrounge thread showing all this free wood we're trucking home. Then, there
it sits. That's my issue. As much as it kills me to drive past my permission locations, no stops for
wood until this homestead has order outdoors!! Hurts like a divorce or quitting cigarettes NOT
grabbing all the goods before someone else sees it. I have to remind myself that wood's been there over a
year in the same spots and I'm the only one who bothered to ask the property owners. Trying to look at
it like that's where it's being stored until my fam needs more stock. If "sneaky Joe" comes by and scoops
up supply there will be more down the road of life further. Scrounging successfully is easy when knowing
what areas to look in (watch for the power lines) and then check the house for the telltale chimney and wood
processed outdoors somewhere nearby. There's another 5-8 years in my lil' area alone waiting for me to
pluck. Many, many times out here for whatever reason the poles and lines are 30 ft from the pavement
but the treeline comes to the edge of the road. Casual glances even in winter don't really show what's hiding
back there amongst the fallen deads and natural ground cover between the road and the cleared strip the
wires and poles run through. One line in particular runs from our house through the woods to next door
4 acres over. The Asplundh guys were actually here determining which of my standing dead ash trees need
dropped right into our lap !! I get to scrounge myself. LOL You can totally believe I'll be sliding the saw guy a couple
of 20's to buck a bit shorter than usual and have the scroungemobile ('01 dakota) backed up close.

Have you adopted the One minute and 5 minute plan yet for constantly chipping it down here and there daily?
It's working here when I'm healthy. (small bites, but keep eating) There's really something to this mindset.

Last edited:
DoBish, Did 6 rounds today!!

I wuz re reading this thread all the way through and my problem wasn't the break in working
on the wood that got me behind. After the shoulder repair I kept scrounging with my good arm
but couldn't swing an axe.
Now I can and am starting slow and easy into the dead and dry easies.
Time to lose the mini stacks clogging up the joint.

We're both on the scrounge thread showing all this free wood we're trucking home. Then, there
it sits. That's my issue. As much as it kills me to drive past my permission locations, no stops for
wood until this homestead has order outdoors!! Hurts like a divorce or quitting cigarettes NOT
grabbing all the goods before someone else sees it. I have to remind myself that wood's been there over a
year in the same spots and I'm the only one who bothered to ask the property owners. Trying to look at
it like that's where it's being stored until my fam needs more stock. If "sneaky Joe" comes by and scoops
up supply there will be more down the road of life further. Scrounging successfully is easy when knowing
what areas to look in (watch for the power lines) and then check the house for the telltale chimney and wood
processed outdoors somewhere nearby. There's another 5-8 years in my lil' area alone waiting for me to
pluck. Many, many times out here for whatever reason the poles and lines are 30 ft from the pavement
but the treeline comes to the edge of the road. Casual glances even in winter don't really show what's hiding
back there amongst the fallen deads and natural ground cover between the road and the cleared strip the
wires and poles run through. One line in particular runs from our house through the woods to next door
4 acres over. The Asplundh guys were actually here determining which of my standing dead ash trees need
dropped right into our lap !! I get to scrounge myself. LOL You can totally believe I'll be sliding the saw guy a couple
of 20's to buck a bit shorter than usual and have the scroungemobile ('01 dakota) backed up close.

Have you adopted the One minute and 5 minute plan yet for constantly chipping it down here and there daily?
It's working here when I'm healthy. (small bites, but keep eating) There's really something to this mindset.

Have you thought of a splitter? I was initially against one but the wife wanted it. After reading about what a maul does to one's shoulders I pulled the trigger and it is awesome.

So the wife was home with strep, as was the nanny, so i took the day off from work to watch the kids... during nap time, i could not sit idle, so there I went!

This is more of the locust that gets to get added to the pile.
View attachment 185102
This is the second half of the russian olive and elm that I split (i had to move part of the pile, so i could get around it safely!
View attachment 185103
As you can see, I still have the pile of russian olive behind the boat, and i still have the stuff that I bucked up the other day to split, but I made some pretty good headway. We are supposed to get 6 inches of snow tonight, so maybe I will actually have a fire.

oh, and some of my elm looks like this....
View attachment 185105
That's not bad huh? I'm pretty sure that was a piece from a tree that came down in april of 2016..... its a good thing it was hot this summer!

I heard "behind the boat". We keep a 20ft sailboat down the hill at Union.

I heard "behind the boat". We keep a 20ft sailboat down the hill at Union.
Boat isn't mine. I'm storing it for a friend and can't wait to have it go away. That's another reason I needed to get the wood out of the way, since I need to move the boat so I can drive down past it. I wish I had a small sal boat, but not really a lot of places to use it around here. I have a canoe and a couple of kayaks, which are a bit more reasonable

AutoTech,

A splitter is indeed on the shopping list with body parts already failing from a lifetime of
physical jobs. It's not in the budget yet so clean and splittable is all I stock thus far.
"The machine" will certainly pay for itself in ibuprofen. Back to work and a few other
ditties are ahead of the splitter. (Like the busted garage door spring, finishing up indoors
on the remodel, etc)
We can have an electric on site before the snow melts, longer if we get gas/hydraulic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.