Do I want Husqvarna 357 XP for a bargain price if I have Rancher 460?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is "new" chain image.jpg

Chain looks like it has been sharpened many times and is getting close to the end of it's useful life. Also the chain may have been improperly sharpened by the previous owner (wrong angles, wrong files/stones, too deep into gullet, etc.), so you may have to make extra strokes to get each tooth's profile back to where it should be.

When sharpening a 3/8 pitch chain (not 3/8LP), you may want to switch from 7/32 files to a 13/64 file when you get towards the end of tooth life. Also make sure the depth gauges/rakers are low enough.

If the bit of the chain shown in the picture is typical then it will be difficult and time-consuming to put it back in order with a hand a hand file. It looks like a lot of metal will have to come off both the teeth and rakers. Have someone with a chain grinder do it, or just throw it out and buy a new chain.

Besides its poor condition, that looks like low-profile chain, which will be the wrong chain for the bar. Do the drive links have a number 6 or number 91 stamped on one side?

Reactions: TreePointer
It's has stamp "stihl", 3/8 , and then 3 on bottom

Well, then it's not low-profile chain. It's still in bad shape, not worth trying to fix by hand unless you're feeling masochistic.

When you say "3 on bottom," you mean on the drive link that fits into the bar, right? You can't see it unless you pull part of the chain up out of the slot?

Latest update : Put the new fuel mix in it, pulled cord couple times with choke on, it started right away. Seems ok, accelerates, starts again easily, idles fine.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Tried to cut wood with it, but chain is dull. Here is another question. I was trying to sharpen it with my regular file 7/32" , but it was way too big, I've unpacked smaller3/16" that I bought by mistake.... And it's too big too. So, what is going on? What the difference between chains that need different size files to sharpen them . Both bars identical with same digits on it. Chains look similar , same configuration, same amount of teeth etc What is the best use for each ?

P.S.: I've misjudged the bar on a new saw ,seeing it in a car trunk. It's 24". So, now i have two 24" bars with different chains on it, just wondering what works better for what?

Sounds like your new saw has some narrow kerf bar/chain combo.

View attachment 160855 View attachment 160856 View attachment 160859 OK , Now my wife can say I'm officially insane.
I went to look at 357 that in supposedly good condition. Dude asking 250$.
I got there , the saw seems ok , not the best condition , but still .The guy says it was his late father and it worked great and been taken care of. He sweared it's been starting and running couple weeks ago. it had fuel and oil in it. Guy said that fuel was sitting there for a while , doesn't know exactly how long. I pulled the rope many times , it didn't start. seeing that it's not starting I asked guy if he could give it to me for 150. After 15 min of discussing and thinking he gave it up for $150.
Don't have time to play with it tonight since at work.
Am I insane or it was a good deal ? Tell me ,please .
It has 28" bar in ok condition and not really old chain on it .

You got totally hosed on this deal. I can't believe this guy took advantage of you like that. Because I am a humanatarian, and I hate to see bad things happen to good people, I'll take it off your hands for $160. That way, you you get out from under a bad deal with enough left over for dinner at Chick Fil A.

Status
Not open for further replies.