Do you store a stack of wood inside your home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I keep about a days worth by the hearth on a rack. Everything else stays outside in the shed. Since I'm outside numerous times a day with the dogs, I usually carry a few pieces in each time. Been doing it this way for years and it works for me.

Since the stove goes pretty much 24/7, I don't need much kindling either. I mainly use fatwood to restart embers if I need to but I have three 33-gallon roller trash cans full of kindling under the deck if needed. I put vents in the sides of the trash cans to get air flow and dry out the kindling. With the winds we have here, there is always kindling in the yard from the oaks and maples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd67 and SpaceBus
2 weeks or so of wood is stacked on the covered porch . . . which is unheated and partially exposed. The wood stays dry, but it's cold enough that any bugs are pretty much dormant when I first start stacking on the porch.

Every day I bring in a load or two of wood for the woodbox next to the stove. Ten plus years of burning and I have yet to see any bugs emerge from hiding in the wood.

My "hearth" setup. The old defiant was too heavy to move out of the house, it's too much for just me and my wife. It works well as a plant stand/cast iron counter top for my kettle and steamer. It also dries out my kindling!
20181221_121406.jpg

I keep a 6x4 foot rack safely away from the stove, along an opposite interior wall in our grate room. I also have another auxiliary rack at the other end inside the house. This is enough for 10 days in cold weather.

When they get near the bottom, I load the Gator up and drive it round to near the front door and shuttle the wood in by the wheelbarrow load.

Except for occasional ants near spring, we never have any pest issues.

Not a recommendation, just stating how we do it.

Reactions: Todd67
I keep enough on the hearth to get a hot fire going if there's a power outage. I have maybe 40 splits at any time leaning against the house, on the patio concrete or sidewalk. Both are covered by a very wide soffit. But that all starts in December, once we've had a lot of weather in the 20s and 30s. Then, to qualify for inside or against the house, any piece of wood has to be free of bugs (holes are not necessarily bad -- for instance red oak has a lot of little holes from bugs that bore in when the tree was standing). Learn what termite trails look like. I've never had them on my wood, but I had a termite guy school me. But I do occasionally get carpenter ants in hickory that's in the stacks a long time.

Any suspect piece stays in the wood stacks on the driveway, thirty feet from the house. A suspect piece is carried in and set directly in the fire.

Since the wood on the hearth may go the whole winter -- no blizzard or power outage -- I select good looking stuff that will appeal to visitors as they sit in front of the fire.

Last edited:
I try to keep a few loads in the house, then about 2 face cords in the garage, and the rest stacked and covered next to the garage man door. I do notice some spiders if we start burning early like October. But not so much once it gets cold out. i do need yet to make a bin for the wood, it can get a little more messy this way.
View attachment 236285

Damn! I thought my stove area looked good. That is gorgeous!

Is that a telephone plugged into the wood pile on the right side of the picture?[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, the grandson has a thing with keeping the cord stuck in there when he's over.

Reactions: Gwynthie and Todd67
I keep roughly 1/3 of a cord under my stairs in the basement. Once a week or so I bring a few new wheelbarrow loads in to keep it topped off. NEver had issues with bugs. Every once in a while I'll see an ant in the basement but they're easily stepped on.

Firewood is in and on top of a hoop in the garage. Two trash cans of kindling, too. The insert is in a den fireplace against the garage wall, so the wood is close to the insert. The stacked wood outside is in three Woodhaven half-cord-plus racks that are in the backyard by the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2112 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2112 - Copy.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
… Every once in a while I'll see an ant in the basement but they're easily stepped on.

The Outer Limits episode "The Zantis Misfits" scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. :)

Here's a teaser: . Full episode is also available online.

3-4 days in the stove room, weeks worth in the garage and keep rotating, luckily we dont have black widows or brown recluse here or I would have another system.

Reactions: SeaHag and Todd67
Dry wood shouldn’t have any bugs that matter. Any others get squashed if/when they are found. Killing bugs keeps me from killing humanoid-insects. (Joke. Chill. Don’t call the authorities!)

I have about a weeks worth of 2"x4" and 2"x6" trimblocks I get from work, with a MC of between 7% and 14% in the garage. Then, I have another 2 weeks worth just outside the door, along with 2 weeks worth of dry fire wood. The rest of my trimblocks and firewood (about 12 cords total) in my wood shed, and some covered in the back yard.
Never a problem with bugs, and a lot less mess using the trim blocks. The trim blocks also seem to heat the house a lot better.

I keep two days of wood in a large box on casters just inside the bulkhead all winter long with a days stack on the hearth next to the stove, bugs be damned. We’ve got mice, spiders, two cats and two dogs anyway, what’s a few bugs?

I keep two racks on my hearth, one on each side of the stove. It helps dry the wood that gets rain and snow on it outside. This is one of the racks. The other rack is the same.

IMG_20171223_190031992.jpg

The rest of my firewood is stored outdoors on pallet racks, with 1/3 cord on my front porch, which is not enclosed.

One day's worth.
Most outdoor bugs die from the lack of humidity in a house.
I've found one spider crawling off a split once and I couldn't say for sure if it came in with the wood or was just checking it out.

I keep two weeks worth in the basement utility room. I keep another week in the attached garage. I watch the weather and try to top everything off if we are expecting rain or snow. I’ve never noticed anything except the occasional gnat or stink bug. It’s worth it to me to have a nice supply of warm dry wood inside.

I did another Wood Exchange (trading my stacks some wet stuff for some dry stuff) today. I really need to get my truck running again...

Image1597824094661320572.jpg

First load

Image4636892887918065914.jpg

Second load

Image2661654525173101563.jpg

Both loads all stacked up

Image1669759251169522718.jpg

My payout (dry maple and oak for this week, it is supposed to be warm). Picked mostly odds and sods since I will be home one more day than usual.

Image2594293368479872635.jpg

Aaah! Time to brew some tea and sit by the fire.

We have widows. Lots of 'em. (National Forest) We keep about 2 weeks worth of "clean" wood in the basement. Any wood with knotholes or cracks they can hide in gets cued up outside and put directly in the stove when convienient. The boys are eagle eyed when bringing wood in. I used to pay ' them 50 cents for each widow they showed me. Now they just squish them with thier work gloves and keep on truckin. Other spiders all get a pass and chucked aside if possible. They just aren't that scary. My kids aren't hardbutts by any stretch, either.

On termites: they cannot survive/infest from a sound wood floor/concrete/linoleum/tile etc. They need soil and moisture in addition to wood.

We keep 2 totes of wood in garage, we have a 4X4 rack of locust inside basement and a portable rack close to the stove. If the conditions in you your home are fit for wood boring bugs your not going to need to bring them in the house with firewood. They will find you. If black widows were abundant here a may do something different. I do put diatomaceous earth on my stacks once they are put in shed. On occasion I will see a small spider. We live in the woods along a river and have bugs but rarely in our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sloeffle and Todd67
Dry wood shouldn’t have any bugs that matter. Any others get squashed if/when they are found. Killing bugs keeps me from killing humanoid-insects. (Joke. Chill. Don’t call the authorities!)
Unfortunately, powder post beetles, of which we have lots, LOVE dry wood, especially your nice hardwood flooring, framing and furniture!