Dodge Dakota- Would you put in a new engine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like your options here are:

1) Spend ~$4,000 for a new-to-you used truck. In the end, you have a used truck, with an original engine.

or

2) Spend ~$4,000 to replace the engine (I second the suggestion to put a new Jasper in it). In the end, you have a used truck with a new engine.

As far as I'm concerned, (even if I'm off on the amount), dollar for dollar, a used truck with a new engine is better than a used truck with an original engine.

If you like the truck and it's in decent shape, I'd say have the shop to an engine swap.

-SF

if that were me, I'd put the money into something newer.

This is all actually great to hear from my standpoint. I have the exact same truck. I bought in '04 with 24,000mi on it, and it just hit 61,500mi. My goal was to get rid of it before it hit 100,000mi but now just may run it to the ground, knowing that you put even more than that on your's, w/out an issue until now.

My front fenders are starting to rust like hell, so that is something I was going to get a price on getting fixed/replaced.

raiderfan said:
My front fenders are starting to rust like hell, so that is something I was going to get a price on getting fixed/replaced.

That's an easy fix, cut off the rust, get some oversized fender flares and some bigger tires so it doesn't look weird. That's the plan for my 92 lol.

Thanks for all of the replies last fall. I thought this over for a long time and had a remanufactured engine dropped in last week. It runs great. I now have a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty by a reputable company in Southern Wisconsin. The installer was one of my kid's friend's dad, who also runs a reputable shop around me. Probably not the most cost effective thing I ever did, but I think it's going to work for me.

My main thought process was:

I owned the truck from new and know how it was maintained. I was comfortable with keeping it.
I will soon have 2 more new drivers (15 year old twin boys), so having a dependable, heavy vehicle was important. We really will need this extra vehicle soon.
I still have to haul wood, tow a boat, snowmobile trailer (OK, I don't HAVE to, but I like to), so having a proper vehicle was also important.

Finally, I just plain like the truck and like the idea of having it for many more years. I don' like to drive my work van around all of the time with ladder racks, lettering, etc. on it. This offers me a comfortable way to "blend in" with neighborhood traffic.

I'll have to figure out a way to keep it from rusting, as it will be stored outside forever. Any ideas there?

Thanks again for all of the input about which way to go.

boatboy63 said:
Be very careful buying a used 4.7l engine. I have an 01 Dakota Sport 4x4 standard cab with a 5 speed and the 4.7. The truck has 80,000 miles on it and the engine is shot. From what I read on a Dodge board, there is a common problem with some that Dodge doesn't want to admit to. There is an area of the block that is thinner than it should be. This causes some oils to overheat in this area to the point of building up a small carbon (burnt) crust from the oil. Eventually, it falls off, goes to the oil pan and then plugs the screen on the oil pump. Dodge considers it as lack of maintenance on the owner's part. My Dakota ran great when I first bought it used. After a few months, it developed a knock. Oil pressure when cold was great but when it warmed up, it dropped 75%. Got to the point, when idling, oil light would come on because oil pressure had dropped to nothing. Tap the gas ever so slightly, and oil pressure was right back up there. Did a compression check and all are good. I am afraid bearings are worn out on it now because of the screen issue. It has been parked in the driveway for 2 years now until I get the time and money to do something. Been driving my 97 Dakota with a 3.9l V6 with 140,000 miles since this happened. Also, on this engine, just to drop the oil pan, the engine has to be unbolted and raised up for the pan to clear the crossmember.

I tend to agree about a head gasket being blown. This is causing your compression to leak out and use coolant. Also, I am sure you have hit the pedal to the metal a time or 2 with it. This engine in a Dakota is a pocket rocket. It will run with some Mustangs. Do you really want your soon to be driving sons to be behind the wheel with this much power? If you were anything like I was as a child, you will know what I mean. The insurance would be expensive for them too. I would go with a car with a 4 cylinder, especially for fuel economy and less power. The only way I will buy another Dodge truck is if it says Cummins under the hood.
My Dodge truck says Cummins under the hood & it has an engine with known a thin area on the passenger side of the block, code "53" block. Dodge has a class action going on this. My engine had a warrantee that stated, At the end of the 35,000 mile standard warrantee the Cummins engine warrantee will begin. The only mention anywhere in the book was of a 100,000 mile engine warrantee. My injector pump died at 105,000 miles($2400) Needless to say Chrysler"dodged" my warrantee. The point of all this? Maybe consider moving on to something else. I don't know if the website is still up www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com, this was a sobering read though, Randy

Used motor if you REALLY like the truck

I learned a long time ago it's not width fixing up older vehicles because the insurance company will still only give you a set amount based on year and miles regardless of new motor, trans etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.