Does anyone have an idea what year this VC Defiant stove is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimWalshin845

Nov 6, 2007
S. Jersey
From our understandings, the earlier VC's all had the stove back cast with 1975. Our Defiant's serial plate # is 35721 and the BTU rating is 55,000.

IMGP0201.JPG

IMGP0132.JPG
Does anyone know when this one was manufactured?

Just curious,
Jim & Kathy

well glass door panels did not become an option before 1982 so probably a 70's vintage stove

Also, removable handle came into being - as UL standards started calling for that. My guess is 1977-1979

It might be that certain castings have "foundry marks" on the back - and if they are not VC, then it was before 1979, as that is when VC finished their foundry. Before that, they outsourced parts from all over the east coast and europe.

Webmaster said:
Also, removable handle came into being - as UL standards started calling for that. My guess is 1977-1979

It might be that certain castings have "foundry marks" on the back - and if they are not VC, then it was before 1979, as that is when VC finished their foundry. Before that, they outsourced parts from all over the east coast and europe.

The Defiant is under wraps right now during our hearth floor rebuild. But we will look for foundry marks. The stove's handles are not removeable but we have this 'S' shaped handle that looks like it belonged to the stove or maybe an old cast iron griddle. Maybe I will take a photo OP and post it to the board as to "WHAT THE HECK IS THIS TO"?

First nite of expected frost and stove not in place.... Y U C K,
Jim & Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.