Does anyone have Hydraulic and kinetic splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have 22 ton Countyline splitter and happy with it. Except bored to death splitting the wood. Thinking of buying used kinetic , if price is right. I split 5plus cords a year. Does it make sense or I just want another toy?

What's the cycle time on your current splitter? Are you finding that you don't have enough time to do other things?

What's the cycle time on your current splitter? Are you finding that you don't have enough time to do other things?
I believe its
Its about 11 sec., which is an ok time. But it's boring and time consuming. I'd rather do other stuff. I'm enjoying using chainsaw, even stacking is much more fun to me. But splitting is the least favorable activity.

I think a kinetic would be more exciting if that's what you are after. I like the meditative quality of splitting wood, even with an engine powered splitter.

I believe its

Its about 11 sec., which is an ok time. But it's boring and time consuming. I'd rather do other stuff. I'm enjoying using chainsaw, even stacking is much more fun to me. But splitting is the least favorable activity.

I think most of us have something more exciting to do than splitting. But just something we need to do.

I was thinking of getting a 40 ton equivalent (they can’t really rate the tonnage on them) kinetic splitter to maybe replace my newer 37 ton hydraulic one but then I bought a hand swing stump grinder instead, I was looking at some splitters the other day and many had times of 14-15 second cycles so your 11 second is a speed freak compared to them. My splitter has a 13 second time, not great but I can live with it especially since I’m 4-5 years ahead on SSR’d wood now and if I just split a cord of scrounge wood every summer I’ll be good for a long time so I can live with my slow splitter I guess. ;hm

If I need a hydro splitter to split something it’s staying right were it fell.
If Im burning wood it will be split on my Super Split.

Reactions: showrguy
If I need a hydro splitter to split something it’s staying right were it fell.
If Im burning wood it will be split on my Super Split.
I was just on Super Splits web page. They look like good splitters and the prices reflect that.

I was just on Super Splits web page. They look like good splitters and the prices reflect that.
Cheap? No. Well made in the USA? Absolutely. Most of the wear items look like they can be found at a good hardware store.
Taken care of they hold their value. I saw one beat to death but the main skeleton was all there and I’ll bet it still worked as it should.
At the end of the day the cost compared to a DR was within a couple of hundred bucks. I can call the company direct or stop in to my local dealer and help keep his doors open versus some call center.

friend of mine has one.. its a 2 man splitter.. splits really fast. If your into twisted wood get the larger flywheel. Im happy with my 11 second splitter. I just put in my ear buds, turn on some spotify and listen to led zep, Alice in chains, ect.. I enjoy my outdoor time and the cool weather

Reactions: mcdougy
friend of mine has one.. its a 2 man splitter.. splits really fast. If your into twisted wood get the larger flywheel. Im happy with my 11 second splitter. I just put in my ear buds, turn on some spotify and listen to led zep, Alice in chains, ect.. I enjoy my outdoor time and the cool weather

Good pick, The Alice in Chains unplugged is one of my favorite albums.

I use to work concert security ... The bumper sticker says it all
1602083277848.png

I did meet the van Halen boys ..RIP Eddy

Reactions: WiscWoody
Get a good 2 way splitter. We have one and if you do it right when you split a big round in half, you can put both pieces on the side you are on and split them both. That way when the wedge is moving it is always splitting. No wasted strokes.