Does slabwood dry faster?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SuperJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2017
St.Jacobs, ON, Canada
After the cold snap I'm concerned I don't have the woodpile to make thru March.
I can get some wood from a local sawmill pretty inexpensively. I can either get thin slab wood, or thicker blocks from cut offs.
Do you think the slab wood will dry faster than the blocks? Or will the bark hold the moisture in even though it's thinner?

Pallets got me through my first year of burning. They're pretty much creatively arranged slab wood.

Keep air moving around it and it'll dry quickly.

Slab wood will dry faster . . . and burn faster.

Only trade off is a lot more bark which means more ash. Also potentially shorter burn times.

Only trade off is a lot more bark which means more ash. Also potentially shorter burn times.
You are VERY right about the ash, had a giant pile of bark that came off while splitting and have been using it up and always need to do some cleaning out of the ash afterwards.

After the cold snap I'm concerned I don't have the woodpile to make thru March.
I can get some wood from a local sawmill pretty inexpensively. I can either get thin slab wood, or thicker blocks from cut offs.
Do you think the slab wood will dry faster than the blocks? Or will the bark hold the moisture in even though it's thinner?
I have had the same concern and was wondering if some of the pine I have slit and stacked might be ready in a month or so. After thinking about the cold a little more I thought about all the downed trees that I have in some swampy ground behind my house. Most have been down since before we moved here (7+ years ago) and are laying across each other off of the ground. I have been fortunate with local free wood so I have never bothered heading into the "swamp" but with this cold a nearly frozen swamp delivered some nicely tried wood and a place to get more:). Plus it let my 10 year old twins try out their new work pants as we moved wood to dryer ground............

Attachments

• Does slabwood dry faster?
    Wood 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 142
    Wood 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 142
    Wood 3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 145
Don't get blocks..thats all i know. They suck..don't stack right and if they are square it is even worse...air can't get in and dry the stack out once it is wet.