Does the baffle plate change anything ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cire3

Jan 11, 2010
MI
www.cire3pc.com
I have a Regency F2400, just installed it and was wondering if I can get any performance difference replacing the secondary baffle with stainless Vs the fire brick that it has as of now. I really don't crank the heat as it's rated "in my opinion"

I just jumped from a Kodiak stove to the new epa model with secondary combustion "that I love"

Looking to gte the best bang from the stove. I noted a few issues I had to start. I went from 8' flue to 6". I kept the 8" and just expanded it the 6" to it.

I noticed that was a bad idea as the flow is way different and I had smoke making it back in the house. I made the stack longer and choked it back down to 6" on the roof. "I will be adding the 6" tripple wall to make it all 6"

But I seen a few units making steel baffels for the secondary air area. Is the firebrick it uses now ok, or would changing the materal help creat more heat ? I'm use to the stove getting much hoter with the old setup.

Thanks in advance !!

I doubt if changing baffle material will make much of a performance difference. Baffle PLACEMENT can on some stoves. Some baffles can actually shift inside of the stove. I am not familiar with yours, but make sure that the placement is according to your manual if it is of the style that can move.

The baffle is basically just a "ceiling" that retains the heat inside the stove box. I think it could be made of darn near anything that will take the heat and perform as intended.

Good move on going to 6" from stove to light. It sounds like you may have a draft issue.

Make sure your baffles are pushed all the way back
on top of your air tubes & then spread as far apart as they can be.
There is a small rabbet cut where they overlap in the middle
& when you spread the baffles, you'll still get at least a 1/4"
of overlap, front to back.
I wouldn't switch to steel. It has a chance of distortion due to the
harsh environment in there & IF it distorts, it won't do it's job
of deflecting the flames away from the top of the firebox & forcing
the secondary burn tubes to work...

I did check it out before firing, seems to be in place and pushed tight to the sides. I didn't know if allowing that temp to "pass through" the baffle would help create more top side temp.

Very happy I found this forum, you guys are right on top of things ;) Great material here !!

Thanks for the timely responce.

Status
Not open for further replies.