Does wood dry in the winter in Alaska? Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, I doubt there is much worry about that birch rotting during the winter months. How can it rot if it is frozen? Carry on Dave.
We usually get a "January thaw". Chinook winds warm it up , I may be ready then to get it split.
But I agree, no hurry. If I have to wait till spring, it will still be good wood. It does split easier green though.

bogydave said:
It does split easier green though.
...and on a fresh cut face. Won't make a difference with hydraulic power though. IKWYM about running the splitter in the cold. I wait until Spring to do the splitting now.

LLigetfa said:
bogydave said:
It does split easier green though.
...and on a fresh cut face. Won't make a difference with hydraulic power though. IKWYM about running the splitter in the cold. I wait until Spring to do the splitting now.

Makes for a good picture every now & then too.
Either splitter doesn't' like operating in the cold, me or the Speeco. :)

They steal your firewood up there Dave?
I thought up in Alaska you would just shoot em.

brogsie said:

Never caught anyone doing it yet. Hope I never do.
Hard to sell fire wood to a "Pawn shop".
Was a pretty weak excuse for not splitting it, but most thieves don't steel stuff that might need "work" :)

bogydave said:
brogsie said:

Never caught anyone doing it yet. Hope I never do.
Hard to sell fire wood to a "Pawn shop".
Was a pretty weak excuse for not splitting it, but most thieves don't steel stuff that might need "work" :)

Edit:
3001 post: "Inferno" status :)
(No longer a firecracker technician AKA Pyro extraordinaire )

Status
Not open for further replies.